Logo

57 volvo dies at idle when warmed up

S

Steve R.

My 5.7 volvo wants to die at

My 5.7 volvo wants to die at low idle when engine warms up. I have had the carb rebuilt and someone told me it is still the carb. Any ideas?

" Check this out first) Do

" Check this out first) Do you have to "floor it" to start once it has stopped? If so the float level could be high/to high. If so the boosters dribble out fuel while trying to idle. It stops!
It could also be the opposite.I.e too low level. If you help pump it a little before starting and it does start and slowly dies, then it is too low.You will also notice that is not responsive when trying to adjust the adjusting screws.
If you give me the carburetor number( on the carb itself)I think I could help you out!
Peter "

I hope you are talking about

I hope you are talking about these numbers? 4412-1
Does this sound like a carb problem? thanks for the help.

I guess I was too fast. What

I guess I was too fast. What brand of carburetor do you have? 2 or 4 barrel? If 4412-1 is a Holley and this number is stamped on the airhorn from the front then you have a problem.This a universal unit for high performance. Not for marine use at all.
Peter

The guy who rebuilt it said t

The guy who rebuilt it said that also. He said that it looked like a carb that was converted to marine. How do I find out what the correct carb is for this boat? What is the difference between them? This does have the curved tube on the top of the carb. By the way this is a two barrel.I am sure you knew that by the number. Please help Peter this boat is getting to be a pain in the @$#@. Thanks

" Hi Steve!
Original Holley i

" Hi Steve!
Original Holley is called List 80402-1 for the Penta 5,7GL. I'm pretty shure this will work a ton better compared to the 4412-1 since it's what the factory used. If you find out you can't find this, I would seriously consider changin to 4-barrel intake and carb. You would increase performance by some 20-25hp and at the same time at least not increase the fuel consumption. Edelbrock makes good carbs, Holley too or perhaps a used Rochester Quadra Jet for a small block unit.
Good luck
Peter "

" Thanks Peter, I ordered the

" Thanks Peter, I ordered the 80402-1 today and hopefully that should take care of it. The place I bought the boat from looked at it and said I needed a new carb because it was easier than rebuilding it. I think he new it was the wrong carb and did not want to tell me. Plus the fuel line was spliced with a piece of rubber hose. Is this stuff illegal? "

I honestly can't inform y

I honestly can't inform you on that matter. Sorry.
Peter

" Don´t buy a Holley, Bu

" Don´t buy a Holley, Buy Edelbrocks marine carb #EDE1409. I put that on my 260 VP along with merlin heads, a racepro cam and edelbrocks performer intake manifold.
It gave me just above 300 hp and smoother and leaner running that the original setup "

Back