Logo

Old Diesel Fuel

T

thewordmerchant

" I am buying a new 2000 Cruis

" I am buying a new 2000 Cruisers 3750 with Volvo TAMD63P engines. Boat has 200 hours from demo and travel over last 3 years. I am changing all fluids and plan on taking 3 pairs of Racor filters on board when I leave the dock.
I will try to shakedown the boat locally for a few days but then have a 160 mile open run from Carrabelle, FL to Tarpon Springs.

The mechanic has advised that fuel related problems are possible due to the age of the boat and length of time the diesel may have sat in the tanks. He also advised against any additives at this time since the algae and crud in the tanks would be more likely to dislodge and start clogging the filters.

The two 150 gallon tanks are full and were topped off several weeks ago by the dealer, taking about 160 gallons.

Any advice on how to minmize my possible fuel related problems from possible old fuel? Am I just borrowing trouble? "

" Two years and 200 hrs is not

" Two years and 200 hrs is not unusual and if the dealer has kept up with filling the tank(s) up and adding additives you may have nothing to worry about.

However, to be on the safe side....Your mechanics advice is sound. To be safe bring more filters and don't forget the engine mounted fine filters.

Once you get to your permanent location either replace the fuel and clean the tanks or have the fuel filtered and treated (there are contractors that offers "Fuel polishing").

Karl "

Back