Logo

Hole in lower unit Johnson 75Hp 1961

J

John Hart

" I just purchased an old Thom

" I just purchased an old Thompson boat as a project. It has a 75 Hp Johnson motor which I ran briefly before purchase. After I got home, I noticed a hole in the lower unit about 5 to 7/16 in dia... it is about 8" from the anti-cavitation plate on the left side of the shaft. I thought a screw must have fallen out, but the hole does not appear to have threads. Through the hole, I can see a shiny metal shaft running vertically. Yesterday, I picked up a repair manual at the library, and it happened to have a similar Johnson on the cover.... it also appeared to have the same hole. My question is, is this normal? Is there a missing plug..? If it is normal, won't this let water inside the housing? This is probably the first of many dumb questions I may have while I restore this motor... I did order owner, parts and service manuals to help me out. Any guidance that I can get will be appreciated. "

"John..... That hole you see i

"John..... That hole you see is designed into the unit and is a water drain hole. The shinny shaft you see is the drive shaft. If that hole was not there, water would collect up into the driveshaft guide tube area resulting in rust, corrosion, and if in a area where freezing wheather is common, the water would turn to ice which would obviously crack and destroy that portion of the engine.

Joe
"

" Joe... Thank you !! I really

" Joe... Thank you !! I really appreciate your response... I just got my manuals today and about the only place I see that hole, is in a picture of a short to long shaft extension assembly... Looking again at my motor, I guess Thompsons needed the longer shaft.

Thanks again.... "

"John, Saw your posting as I w

"John, Saw your posting as I was soaking in my daily dose of outboard education from Joe R and the other knowledgable guys.
Coincedently, I am running a 1961 Evenrude 75 on my restored 1957 17ft Thompson Sea Lancer.
If I can help with questions etc give me a call.
Also check out the Thompson Club at www. thompsondockside.org
[email protected]

Joe B ( Michigan)"

Back