Logo

No down trim and power loss

M

mike grubb

" I have a 1984 90 hp evinrude

" I have a 1984 90 hp evinrude. The down trim does not work, just clicks at the junction box. The box got water in it while fishing this weekend. Up trim just fine. There are two black square solenoids? in the box. Is there a way I can check the solenoids to determine if one or both are them are bad?
The other problem is the motor will run at 10,000 rpm, but die on acceleration. If I hit the choke button while in gear, it runs like it should. What is up with that? "

" I hope you mean 1000 RPM ;&#

" I hope you mean 1000 RPM ;).. As far as the trim -can't help there, but the hesitation on acceleration & recovery when you hit the choke is a classic problem caused by clogged carbs.

The engine is running lean, probably due to jets clogged by varnish. Remove, disassemble & carefully clean the carbs - pay special attention to the jets. Be sure the fuel you are running is good & doesn't have water in it before running it again (it will dirty them again if so).

Jon "

" thank you, yes, 1000 rpm. It

" thank you, yes, 1000 rpm. It will run at 5200 rpm after pushing choke button. I fished lake fork, came home and had a 12" snow storm with very cold temps in Oklahoma.
Have you found a cleaner that works best on the carbs? "

Mike
Jon is on the money wit

Mike
Jon is on the money with you acceleration problem.
With the trim and tilt there are 2 solenoids as you descibed. One is for the up circut and the other is for the down circut. It sounds like the problem is with the down circut. To test solenoid put a jumper wire on the positive terminal of your battery and apply that voltage to the thick green wire in that junction box. If it works replace the solenoid if it doesnt the prob will be in the trim and tilt unit itself

" If you are thinking of spray

" If you are thinking of spraying cleaner in there, don't bother, the only way to really do it is dissassemble, clean and then rebuild. I use the standard automotive spray carb cleaner on the metal parts - use goggles, a face-shield, and a bucket. Don't get it on anything other than bare metal - it will strip paint & mealt anything else that is non-metallic.

Jon "

Back