Logo

2 HP short shaft British seagull square barrel1960bs

K

Kevin Pretious

" Can you tell me what the con

" Can you tell me what the contact breaker points gap should be, ignition timing, spark plug type and gap, and the fuel / oil ratio ? The gearbox does not seem to have proper oil seals, and water gets in, I am told to change the gear oil after so many hours because this is normal for water to get in. If this is correct then, is there a grade of oil that mixes with water safely, because I always thought that water was bad for bearing surfaces. "

Re: " Can you tell me what the con

" Can you tell me what the contact breaker points gap should be, ignition timing, spark plug type and gap, and the fuel / oil ratio ? The gearbox does not seem to have proper oil seals, and water gets in, I am told to change the gear oil after so many hours because this is normal for water to get in. If this is correct then, is there a grade of oil that mixes with water safely, because I always thought that water was bad for bearing surfaces. "

Mine is a Forty Plus and it says to set points at .015 to .016. The spark plugs are set at .020. The gearbox is supposed to let water in for some reason and should be checked after every 10 hours and takes 140 EP (extreme pressure) oil.

They call for 10:1 ratio. If yours is built before 1968 you must use 10:1 no matter what or you will damage the bearings. What is the number and letters stamped on yours. The last letter is month and last # is the year of manufacturing it.

Also I am not sure if they are supposed to let water in the gearbox but they say it is OK if it does. Just check and replace as stated above. Glad to help you out

Back