Logo

I need your help on an engine switch

tramac

" Can I replace my 85 I-4 GM M

" Can I replace my 85 I-4 GM Mercruiser with an automotive engine.Im not really worried about a lot of power,this boat is used on a private 60 acre lake for farming purposes. I know it can be done Im just wandering about cooling and exhaust.I can get the water in and the engine cool but what about getting it back out? Also can I pipe the exhaust on the truck motor to a thru the hull exhaust fitting, and simply block off the existing pipe that run out below the upper unit. Any answers, questions,or comments are greatly appreciated. THANKS "

Ever watch "Monster Garag

Ever watch "Monster Garage"? Anything can be done. Would I recomend it? Is it safe? That's another matter.

" Be careful. Marine engines

" Be careful. Marine engines were generally internally vented for carburation and so on to prevent any sort of flammable gas build up in the engine compartment. The distributors also had tiny spark arresting screens. The auto engine block is fine but I would recommend you use the intake and exhaust manifolds, the distributor and the carburator, and all other external components from your old engine. They should bolt onto the new one but check first. This way you shouldn't have a problem with plumbing either. Just bolting the auto engine into the boat is asking for trouble and possibly a quick and unplanned trip to the moon. "

Back