Logo

Checking gear lash 55hp Johnson CD12

D

DonCarron

" After many weeks, it appears

" After many weeks, it appears that I'm ready to button up the lower end of my CD-12 Johnson. I've found some dodgy repairs from a former owner inside this lower unit, so I don't feel comfortable leaving anything to chance. Further, I've pretty much done these repairs "right" and I hope that the engine will perform well for many years without additional work.

I feel that I ought to verify the gear lash, but can't find any method of doing it. Once the gearset is installed, the lower end is inaccessible. The only clue as to gear lash is gotten gy holding sither the drive shaft or the output shaft and rotating the other. However, movement of either of those includes the additional slack of the lower drive "flats".

Has anyone done this who can give me a clue as to what to look for as acceptable movement? Or even a better way of determining gear lash?

Cheers/Carron "

" Carron,

If you used the r

" Carron,

If you used the right parts, and the teeth on all gears do not show any signs of wear, you should be okay. If you really feel it is necessary to check gear lash, I think you can do it by setting the engine upside down and removing the bottom half of the gearcase. The gear lash you are trying to measure is between the pinion gear and forward or reverse gears. You can get a good idea of this by moving the forward or reverse gear by hand. As long as the prop shaft is seated properly in the casing you will have an accurate measurement.

Tony "

" Thanks, Tony,

I did a dry

" Thanks, Tony,

I did a dry fit of the bottom end housing and the lash seemed OK, so the design must take care of getting the lash correct.

It is my automotive experience that makes me want to check everything :)

Cheers/Carron "

Back