Logo

Adding a generator to a 1961 Johnson 40hp

J

Jam64

I have a 1961 40hp Johnson &#

I have a 1961 40hp Johnson "electric seahorse" (couldnt tell you the model# its in storage yet....and I cant wait for the snow to melt here)& I repaired the starter last year & noticed a wire marked "GEN". is it costly to put a generator on? where do I find one? Any advice or info on other parts I will need is greatly appreciated

"Jam64..... A generator kit, i

"Jam64..... A generator kit, if one is still available somewhere, would be cost prohibitive. That kit would exceed the value of that engine threefold easily.

Your engine runs on magneto and the only voltage draw would be when you are cranking it via the electric starter. A battery in top notch condition would probably last the entire season, but if you wanted to ease you mind, simply carry a spare.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC)"

" Thanks so much for your thou

" Thanks so much for your thoughts Joe! I agree with the availability issue and as for the value thing, if I were to sell the motor I may want to try finding someone looking to replace an anchor they lost. having said that I would definately settle for used or rebuilt and am willing to part with some money knowing the history and condition of the motor and what even a used 40hp sells for. I have 1 batt for trolling & 1 for lights,bilge,aerator,fish locator,GPS,& starter.Any guess on cost? Thanks again Joe "

Back