Logo

FastStrike 115 Tach

H

hooked04

" I am looking for a motor dia

" I am looking for a motor diagram for a 1997 Johnson 115 FastStrike. I need info on the alternator and rectifier. My Tach goes to 0 above 1300 RPM's and comes back up when the RPM's come down, but my volt gauge on the dash still shows power the entire time. Any help? "

"Hooked.... There are two caus

"Hooked.... There are two causes of that type problem. One of which of course is a faulty tachometer. The other is a failing "Water Cooled Voltage Regulator/Rectifer". If your engine is equipped with this type regulator, it will be located on top of the powerhead just to the rear of the flywheel. If you have this water cooled regulator, the easiest way to check to see what the cause is would be to locate the gray wire leading from the regulator to the terminal block. At that terminal location, there will be another gray wire which leads to your tachometer. Move that gray tachometer lead so that it is connected to the yellow wire that has a gray stripe on that terminal block. Now, if your tachometer operates with no problems, the regulator is faulty. And of course, if the tach still gives faulty readings, the tach itself is bad. If on the other hand, your engine uses the small rectifier that is attached to your engine on the starboard side, I would strongly suspect that the tach is faulty as that type rectifier is either good or bad... it is impossible for it to me intermittent.

Joe
"

Back