Logo

How many shims do i need on the drive shaft OMC

walden_71

" I have a 1986 Johnson 225 HP

" I have a 1986 Johnson 225 HP and repairing the lower unit.

How many shims do i need on the drive shaft?
How big play should it be, between the Upper Drive Bearing Cap Assembly and shims?

//Stefan "

Take it to your local dealer

Take it to your local dealer as you do not have the proper shim tool to do the job!!!

It is NOT a question of how m

It is NOT a question of how many shims needed . The dealer has the tool to determine the shimming required. There is no magic in this.

"Stefan,

If you bought the

"Stefan,

If you bought the parts from a local dealer, you should ask him to shim the driveshaft. Frequently they will do this for free. It depends on how much you spent for the parts. Even if they charge you, it shouldn't be very much. If this can't be done for some reason, you can do it yourself, but it is more difficult when you do not have the tool.

The shims adjust the distance between the pinion gear and the upper bearing housing. If the shim package is too thin, the pinion gear will contact the lower bearing or the surface of the casing. If the shim package is too thick, the pinion gear will contact the clutch dog. A difference of two or three thousandths is enough to cause either of these conditions. Remember that as the driveshaft is turned by the engine it is forced upward against the thrust bearing, shims, etc. So when you examine the shaft you have to pull upward.

The problem is that you have to assemble everything and then see how it feels. If it does not seem right, you have to remove the upper bearing housing to change the number of shims. You have to have shims of different sizes on hand. This can be a tedious process at best. While it is highly recommended to shim the driveshaft with the proper tool, I know several mechanics who rebuild lower units regularly and do not even know what a shimming tool is!

Tony"

Back