Logo

Something interesting on studdering 1978 Johnson 55

bryan

" I was cleaning the carb'

" I was cleaning the carb's out on my newly acquired and first boat. When I removed the screw that is above the carb throat the head of the jet (orfice) came rolling out. Darn! Someone had over torqued it and broke the jet! I figured the remaining jet part would be sufficient to meter the fuel as it was actually the part with the "orfice" and besides that removing the broken part would be nearly impossible due to it's location. I reassembled everything and adjusted the floats. The engine ran rather roughly but, it ran ten times better than before (if that tells you anything), so I began looking at other things like ignition timing and such. I got the timing set right on the 19* BTDC as per factory. The engine still wanted to spit and sputter and not idle so I went back to the carbs only this time I had overhaul kits and new floats in hand. Thinking I would not be able to remove the broken jet I bought (3) 70 horse carbs, thinking I would use one as a donor. I disassembled my original carbs and when I removed the expansion plug on the top of the carb with the broken jet to my suprise, there was the other half of the broken jet, just rolling around in the cavity. I went to my local OMC dealer and they even had the correct jet in stock, just $6.00! Anyone here ever experience this problem before? I'm now wondering how long this engine has been ran like this by the previous owner. Maybe thats why he sold it. "

Back