Logo

Need year and info on Johnson 35HP

kevin

" Greetings from overcast Cent

" Greetings from overcast Central Illinois!

Joe and Zeke, I'm sure you guys can nail this one pretty quick, and I greatly appreciate any helpful advice the folks on this board can provide.

I have the chance to buy an old 16' wooden boat that has a 35 HP Johnson Javelin engine. The Model# is RJE 19M and the Serial # is 650612. As best I can tell this outfit dates to the early to mid 60's. The wood is in fine condition, it only needs a little sanding, elbow grease, and some polyeurathane sealant.

The motor hasn't run in over 5 years so I automatically assume this will need a carb rebuild and a new water pump kit. It is an electric start with cable & pulley steering system. The coating on the steering cables looks cracked so I imagine that will also need replaced.

I've replaced the water pump on my 1978 Johnson 70 before but I have no idea on this old 35HP (and I would bet it's quite different). Can you point me to a guide for this or tell me where to look? Also, can you provide me info like fuel:eek:il ratio, compression, and various other tests/info before I try to fire the engine?

Again thanks for the help. I'm that as I dive into this (if the wife let's me) I'll more questions.

Kevin "

"Kevin.... As above, the engin

"Kevin.... As above, the engine is a 1957 35hp electric start 35hp Johnson.

Carburetor: Yes, that will require rebuilding I'm sure. (I don't have that kit)

Water Pump: You'll see a small oblong plate about halfway down the exhaust housing that has two screws retaining it, remove it. Inside, you'll see a brass shift linkage which connects the top shift rod to the lower shift rod. Remove the bottom 3/8" retaining hex bolt.

When replacing that bolt, be sure to have the groove of the lower shift rod aligned with the bolt hole in that brass connector (It really doesn't matter which bolt you remove and replace, just my preference).

Remove the lower unit retaining bolts and the lower unit can now be removed. You'll see the water pump I'm sure (#379774 about $56.00). If you can't find one, let me know as I've got a couple of those kits left and will discount one for you.

Steering Cable: Usually refered to as "Tiller Cable".... you betcha, replace that item and also check the pulley system closely.

Fuel/Oil Ratio: You can safely use the 50/1 ratio on that engine (1pt 50/1 oil to 6gal of gas). 87 octance will be just fine.

Compression: Depending on the cranking speed, that will vary. However, you would want it to be somewhere around 100psi (might be higher) and even on both cylinders.

Be sure to check the gear lube. DO NOT remove the philips screw that you might see on the lower unit skeg. That is a long shoulder bolt type screw that is actually a pivot point for the internal shift lever. Use HiVis lube, available at K-Mart, Wal*Mart, and of course any Evinrude/Johnson dealership. There's other more expensive lubes but OMC (and I) have used HIVis for many years without worry. Good Luck......

Joe
"

" Great information. Thank yo

" Great information. Thank you so much. The wife is a little leary of spending money on an old boat (especially since we already have one that runs). But this old barge could be a fun project, and I think could be a way to pick up a little extra $$ when I sell it.

You guys are great. I'll post info/pics if (and when) I get this under way.

Kevin

BTW, If you know anyone that might interested in an antique boat please contact me! "

Back