Logo

1994 volvo penta 50fl

upi44

I have a 233 regal w/ a 5.0fl

I have a 233 regal w/ a 5.0fl volvo. I am having trouble getting the boat to plane. I get to about 3000/3200 rpm's at full throttle any suggestions??

First check your tach and mak

First check your tach and make sure you know with some verified accuracy what rpm you can get at WOT (Wide Open Trottle). Next check what size prop you have on now - sounds like your prop is to big.

Karl

"UPi44.... I/Os are not my lin

"UPi44.... I/Os are not my line of expertise but a word of advice here. It would help if the people with the answers had the following knowledge.

Have you had this rig for some time, or did you purchase it recently?

Did this rig ever run properly, and you have just recently encountered this problem? If this is the case, have you or anyone else made any adjustments, repairs, etc just before this problem came into existence?

Have you made any trouble shooting efforts, and if so what efforts, and what were the results?

A little history is needed to steer one in the proper direction.

Joe
"

thanks for answering so quick

thanks for answering so quick.

I bought the boat last summer. It ran and planed good last summer. At the end of the summer I wasn't able to get it to plane if I gave it alot of throttle quick.. But if I slowwly gave the boat throttle it would eventually plane.

now I can not get it to plane?? I am having a boat mechanic look at it but I just want to know aa little before hand... Any more advic ewould be welcomed. I live in the Atlanta area.

Thanks Karen

" Karen,

A few things to ch

" Karen,

A few things to check. First and foremost, do a visual inspection. Are all of the plug wires on? Is the throttle operating properly? Are any fuel lines damaged or kinked? Are filters clean? I would pay close attention to this area. Your problem sounds fuel related. Either a fuel flow problem caused by an air leak in a line, or a restriction caused by a crushed or kinked line, or a clogged filter. System may be contaminated by dirt or water. Do you see fuel anywhere? If these items all appear in proper order I would move on to a basic engine check. Remove and inspect plugs. Check the spark and the firing order. The plugs should all be burning the same and free of rust, oil and water. Next I would do a compression check. Compression should be approx 135-160 PSI and within 10-15% of each other. If you check these items, most likely you will find your problem. Good luck "

I recently purchased a 1984 B

I recently purchased a 1984 Bayliner and I need a new engine. The information I was given is that the old engine is a 1983 volvo penta 225 inboard-outdrive with a 280 outdrive. The outdrive and the transmission are newly rebuilt. He stated that the engine was a basic 350 chevy. Does that mean that I can get a chevy replacement marine engine. Or do I specifically need a volvo penta 225? Any Help is appreciated. Thank you.

Lee Kadinger

" Hi Lee, my workshop manual s

" Hi Lee, my workshop manual states the following:
AQ225C, AQ225D & AQ225F = CHEV 305 CID
AQ225A & AQ225B = CHEV307 CID
The 350 & 307 are basically the same so the 350 marinized rebuild should fit without a problem.
Hope this helps. Aldo "

Back