Logo

Thermostats and gear oil

keb

" I was given a Whitehouse boa

" I was given a Whitehouse boat with a 40 Electric Sea-horse Johnson engine on it. I found out today that the engine is circa 1961. I found out today that the engine runs fine, but in reading postings on this site, I find several references to thermostats. My questions are: Where on the engine is the thermostat located? How expensive and where can they be purchased? Are they the same as automotive thermostats? Also, the bottom end is empty, due to draining/flushing/cleaning it. Does anyone know what the oil capacity is?
Model#RDSL-23
SN#2172465
Thanks for your help... "

"Keb.... The thermostat is loc

"Keb.... The thermostat is located under the plate attached to the top of the cylinder head, the plate attached with three (3) screws, available at your local Evinrude/Johnson dealership.

Use what is called "HiVis" (80/90w) gear lube, available at K-Mart, Wal*Mart, and of course any Evinrude/Johnson dealership. Fill from bottom drain screw until it comes out the top screw hole. DO NOT remove the philips screw that's located in the skeg as that is a long shoulder type pivot screw for the shift internal lever.

Joe
"

" Keb;ULTRA HPF is a better ge

" Keb;ULTRA HPF is a better gearlube,get it a your local John/Rude dealer.If 'stats'were not important OMC would not have spent the $ to use them! jupiterzeke "

"KEB.... Compare the prices fi

"KEB.... Compare the prices first as HiVis is quite sufficent for your engines lower unit.

Joe
"

Thanks for all your help! Th

Thanks for all your help! This site is a "god send"!! I am fairly new to boat engines and boating in general and this site is "awsome"!!

Back