Logo

18 horse evinrude fuel starvation followup

A

Al Connick

" Thanks to those who replied

" Thanks to those who replied regarding my fuel starvation problem on my '73 18hp evinrude. As Joe suggested I checked for pressure/suction at the powerhead and found none. So I will go with the fuel pump idea and replace it with a new one. (makes me mad I spend $44 on a new one for no reason, but that's life).

But here's the thing. I took apart the fuel pump just to see if there were any obvious tears in the diaphragms, etc. and found none. But I did find metal shavings inside the pump on the powerhead side, if that makes sense. Any explanation for the presence of metal shavings inside a fuel pump? Thanks. "

"Al.... It would have been bet

"Al.... It would have been better if you continued with the original post. However I back-tracked to refresh my memory. If you had no pressure or vacuum at the port (hole) that would operate the fuel pump, there would be no way the engine could make any fuel pump work.... and if there are metal shavings at that hole area (outside area of the fuel pump diaphram), that would indicate serious internal powerhead damage.

Joe
"

Back