Logo

Wiring harness

mike

Regular Contributor
Looking for some help finding

Looking for some help finding a source for a 1991 corvette 350 wiring harness to covert to marine.

The project I am working on is converting a 350 automotive to a marine application.

Friend bought the engine and I'm installing it in his Bayliner. He saw it could be done in a magazine and I am having suspicions that are turning into headaches.

Please help!?!!

" Was waiting for someone else

" Was waiting for someone else to jump on this one, but here goes. Try to find that mag issue at your local library or on line. You can search fo a specific article or subject in the "Guide of Periodic Literature". (seems I did actually learn something in high school!) I think you will find that this is a custom job and may require either a custom wire harness or some custom wiring. A few cautions: Any engine can be made to work in any boat, but be sure all of the components are rated for Martine use. Especially Carb, altenator, starter and electrical components. I have a friend who robbed a vette motor for a hot rod, and he had to get computer, O2 sensor, etc from wreck that he salvaged. Wether these components will hold up in a boat is unknown. Maybe some one else out there will help on this one. Good luck and post your results. Kim. PS, Why a Vette motor, more HP. You can have regular Marine engines built to the gills, so if its speed you are after that may be a wiser choice??? "

"Mike,

There used to be a l

"Mike,

There used to be a lot of books and articles about conversion of automotive engines to marine use. There also used to be "kits" consisting of the manifolds, pan, carb, transmission, etc. There doesn't seem to be many conversions done by the boatowner any more.

The only current book (that I know of) that deals with it is Glen Witt's INBOARD MOTOR INSTALLATIONS.

The first thing to investigate is probably the cooling system. Is there a marine manifold available for the engine? OSCO and Barr Marine make marine manifolds for a variety of engines... if it were me I would only pick an engine that I knew I could buy marine manifolds for.

Regards,
Andrew"

" If your friend thinks he is

" If your friend thinks he is going to greatly increase performance in his boat because it has a "Vette" motor in it, he should think again. If you are looking to install the engine complete you are looking for problems. As Kim mentioned, the components on the automobile engine are not spark supressed. Not only does this not meet every safety standard set by the government, it is also very dangerous. Not only is your friend endangering the lives of his family and friends, but the liability for this installation will remain his even after he sells this boat. In other words, if someone gets hurt in this boat due to this installation, it may come back on him. Even if it is 20 years from now.

Now, if he is only looking to use the longblock, that's a different story. If he is replacing his current 350 with this Corvette motor he could simply use his components from his old engine on this new one, this would include the wiring harness. Keep in mind that the Corvette engine was meant to run over the highway, with emmissions in mind. The camshaft in a marine 350 is a higher performance part than an automotive camshaft. The reason, emmissions. Many people install "souped up" car engines in their boats expecting to gain performance, only to find that they actually loose percormance. Keep in mind that if you do go ahead with this installation you will need to change the cylinder head gaskets and freeze plugs to those specified for marine service. This is due to the open cooling system which will now be pumping seawater throughout the engine block. Automotive steel gaskets will corrode through within weeks. Of course the marine manifolds are redily available for this engine since every major engine manufacturer uses the 5.7 GM block as their midrange power plant. I could go on and on, but if you want a good, free, professional opinion, use the right tool for the job. There are plenty of other options available for your friend. Good luck. "

should i change my altenator

should i change my altenator if im adding a amplifier to my audio system?is their a rule of thumb?

Looking for an osco ff618 exh

Looking for an osco ff618 exhaust manifold that fits a Ford 200 cu. in. motor.

Back