Logo

Crusaders 454bs 350 hp smoking at cruise

seacruiser

" I have a trojan 35' on t

" I have a trojan 35' on twin inboards crusaders 454, 350 hp. Recently I changed oil on boths engines, I have an oil changing system with 3 valves connected to each engine and gen set for the purpose of oil change.

This oil changing system valves have a butterfly on the back, use to adjust friction, well after removing old oil, I used the same system to add new oil to the engines.

The gen set valve was selected close, but apparently the valve allowed oil to be sent to the Gen set. Experience, Now I just use the system to remove the oil and add the new one manually.

So, I ran both engines short of at least 1 or 2 quarts for a good 2 hours of operation, before i found out the unussual white smoke on both engine and Gen set.

I discover my mistake by noting a deficit of oil on the engines and excess of the Gen set.

A rapid careful oil and filter change took care of the problem, but my port engine is still unusally smoking, it is a white smoke during cruise, ( about 2700 rpm and above) at idle it is not noticeable.

A friend mechanic told me, if is white smoke, it got to be oil. Oil press is normal and even after running it short of 1 or 2 qts, temps and press.
were normal, but the smoking I am afraid was related to oil foaming or burning.

Well my port engine is still smoking, any ideas, comments or suggestions ?

Tkanks you in advance

SEACRUISER "

"White smoke doesn't neces

"White smoke doesn't necessarily mean oil is burning. In fact, oil burning usually produces a blue tint to the smoke. Are you sure it's smoke and not an increase in exhaust steam?

You didn't say if you have a fresh water (water/antifreeze mix) system or are pumping raw water, but white smoke is often an indication of burning coolant. The smoke will have a distinctly sweet smell, also. If so, the sources are often a blown head gasket, cracked head(s) or block.

Check your oil for the presence of water or coolant and look at the plugs for signs of fouling. Running 2 quarts low in a 5 quart system usually won't fry an engine that's otherwise healthy.

Oil foaming might have happened if you ran the genset with too much oil, but being low on oil in the engines would increase the oil temp. Coolant carries away most of the heat, but oil does its part, too. If your engine was marginal, that might have been enough stress to open up a path for coolant to enter the lube system.

"

Back