Logo

Repower

M

Marty Santiago

" Hello to all. Looking to rep

" Hello to all. Looking to repower a 26 ft Silverton that was originally equiped with a Chrysler 318, 220 hp that was repowered some 7 years ago with a Merc 454, 330 hp. Both engines mated to a Paragon PV-33 V-drive, 2:1 ratio with a 1.25 shaft. Not sure of prop size. Can someone suggest a diesel engine that is more or less the same size in terms of height, length, and width. Since diesels produce more torque is it safe to assume that the hp does not have to be the same as it is now? Remember, she was originally equipped with a 220 hp motor. By the way, the 454 runs great but not fuel efficient. Even considering I am not a speed freak. Thanking all in advance. "

" Marty, two years ago I repow

" Marty, two years ago I repowered a 28 foot Lobster boat with a Isuzu 6BT Diesel. I had a Chrysler 440, 300 HP, with a 2.10 to 1 gear, and can relate to the fuel issue. The Isuzu I bought is 206HP and has a 1.5 gear. My fuel economy quadrupled (yes, thats times four) and no worries about gas fumes going boom. I bought mine from a local dealer who rebuilt it using factory parts, etc. It was 1 inch taller and a couple of inches longer, but much narrower, than the 440. Due to the inline configuration it is much easier to get at stuff, although the only thing I do to it is change oil, and filters, chcange fuel filters and check belts for wear. It is a little noisier, but some more Sound Down is on order. That particular Isuzu diesel is available in many HP setups, and I know of several fisherman in the area that have over 15,000 hours on them and one who has over 30,000 (ya thiry thousand!) hours and he had his valves done at 15,000 hours. See if there is a Isuzu dealer near you, and good luck. They perhaps can spec out the best engine. I did lose some top end, but gained more torque and economy. Kim "

" Hello Kim. Thanks for the in

" Hello Kim. Thanks for the input. Can you tell me what the weight of the motor or entire set up is? Also, I have a v-drive, would that be of any concern? Thanks "

" As I recall the weight of th

" As I recall the weight of the Isuzu and gear were in the 2000 to 2200 pound area. A little heavier than the 440, but not enuf to mess up boat trim, etc. Of course since I dont have to carry plugs, points,and carb tools, so I am probably lighter!!!Another nice thing is the Isuzu , as well as most marine engines, are set up on a 22 inch center to center mount system. The Isuzu actually lined up with in an inch of my previous engine mounts. Kim "

" Marty, This may be a little

" Marty, This may be a little late but another diesel that would be a direct replacement is the Peninsular Engines series of V8 diesels. The range of horsepower is 190 to 340hp. If you had a 454 Merc in your boat it will fit exactly. It weighs only 1000lbs.
Give Matt Koning (president)a call at 616 530 1298 and I'm sure he can help you out. See his web site: www.peninsulardiesel.com

Tell him Don Murray sent you-Good luck! "

" For sale 2 ford lehman diese

" For sale 2 ford lehman diesels 120hp 1060hrs on one and fresh overhaul on the other. $6000. weight 1050lbs. fuel consumption at 1100 to 1500 rpm is .6 gal and 2500 is 2 gal per hr Roy 904-389-1821 Jax,FlRoy "

Back