Logo

1970 25hp manual shift problem

R

Robert Smythe

" I had been experiencing the

" I had been experiencing the forward gear shift lever popping out of gear when starting out of the hole. Once I plane out this goes away. I forced the lever a few weeks ago and lost ALL of my forward gear. I removed the clutch dog and forward gear, and on inspection found only slight deformation on both, but not enough (it seemed) to cause a loss of forward thrust. I found a used set that did not have ANY deformations on them. I installed and adjusted to manual. Is this a known problem on these motors and is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening again? (adjustment, diferent gears and/or dog etc.) I have also installed a hydrofoil but haven't had the time to check it out to see if it helps, yet. "

" Tony,

2 cylinder 2-stroke

" Tony,

2 cylinder 2-stroke 1970 25hp

Robert "

" Tony,

I'm sorry [img]

" Tony,

I'm sorry

Its a Johnson/Evinrude

robert "

"Robert; Does that engine act

"Robert; Does that engine act kile a slipping clutch or like you are hitting something?? A slipping clutch is the prop hub slipping or the motor is cavitating/ventalating air being pulled into the prop.Feels like hitting something is jumping out of gear,replace the fwd.gear,clutch dog,cradle, check the fwd.bearing and readjust linkage to fully engage fwd.and don't "granny shift".Good luck [email protected] almost forgot use a very good lube ie.ULTRA HPF[John/Rude]"

"Robert,

If the shoulder on

"Robert,

If the shoulder on the clutch dog is deformed at all it will slip out of the forward gear. Usually after this happens a few times the forward gear becomes damaged also, and you have to replace both.

My guess is that the parts simply became worn with age, but there are a few things that can cause problems like this.

If the gears are not engaging fully, it can cause them to wear out quickly. This can be caused by bent shift rods, improperly adjusted shift handle, frozen shift shaft.

I'm sure Joe Reeves can add something here.

"

I have aproximately 1/2 inch

I have aproximately 1/2 inch throw in shift arm to go from fully engaged rev to fully engaged for. Does that sound about right?!?
Thanks again

I have aproximately 1/2 inch

I have aproximately 1/2 inch throw in shift rod to go from fully engaged rev to fully engaged for. Does that sound about right?!?
Thanks again

Back