Logo

Couple of questions about OMC 15 Hp engine

jdkline

Regular Contributor
I ran into an interesting pro

I ran into an interesting problem today on the water. I've just gotten finished fixing the manual starter on my 15 HP Johnson engine and the starter lock kicked in. I know that this feature was designed to prevent the engine from starting in situations where the engine can "get away" from you or maybe damage the gears or pwerhead such as starting at WOT or at an advanced throttle position in reverse. However I checked to verify that neither of these conditions existed at the time. Any ideas as to what else might be causing the problem. It spontaneously solved itself later in the day. Very weird. Any help is much appreciated.

" Jd,

You probably did not

" Jd,

You probably did not get the spring on the lockout cam arranged properly.

Tony "

" If I recall correctly, the s

" If I recall correctly, the shift lever really does not really effect this feature, but the twist grip is what controls when the dog drops in to lock the starter spool. You probabaly had the speed (twist grip) set at a higher RPM than normal. Even though you had the arrow in the same position as before, but there is slack in the meshing gears on the twist grip shaft, allowing you to think it was as before. I have found that you need to do (when restarting) move the grip to SLOW, & then back to START. This positions it the same each time. "

"To Jdkline,
How did you conv

"To Jdkline,
How did you convert your 9.9 to a 15? I am interested in converting my '89 sail model Evinrude from 9.9 to 15 H.P.
Any info would be appreciated.
[email protected]"

"Ken,
It's quite simple w

"Ken,
It's quite simple what I did really. I got the carb from an old 15 HP Johnson from a reputable local mechanic who has these kind of things sometimes. The carburetor is basically the main difference between the 9.9 and the 15. The powerheads, cylinder bore and stroke are the same. Another difference on 1981 and later models is that the exhaust tuning is tapered on the 15 which allows it to breathe better. I was advised to just swap out the carbs and run it, but just not over the recommended max rpm for the 9.9 WOT range on the 9.9 is 5500-6500 rpms. For the 15 it is 6000-7000. I typically won't run mine over 6200 for any length of time since it has not been modified to handle greater than the recommended for the 9.9, but I did pick up the capability to get the engine up to 7000 rpms and my brother has topped the boat out at 37 mph @7000 rpms over a short period of time. I say, go for it, it was worth it to me, just stay within current WOT specs, and you will still be surprised at the extra power. A new carb will run you $250. Check this website, I don't know where you are located or if he ships, but this is the guy I got mine from, try his e-mail www.outboardexpert.biz The key is you have to find a decent used carb, and the idle adjustment will be different from the 9.9 most likely. Oh and save the 9.9 carb in case it doesn't work out for you. Even if it does, save it for spare parts, as most parts except the cap are interchangeable. Any more questions? e-mail me at [email protected] Good luck"

Back