Logo

Gray marine 444 enginetransmission info wanted

E

Erik Lindstedt

" Some years ago my father in-

" Some years ago my father in-law gave me his 4-44 Gray marine engine/transmission. He had the unit completely rebuilt in the early 60's with the exception of the accessories. Since then it has been in storage.
Can someone help with some basic information? He said the unit was a 1938.
Is this a Continental engine? If so, what model? Displacement? Horsepower?
Does the " 4-44" designation mean 4 cylinder, 44 horsepower, or am I just guessing? Does anyone have copies of any manuals or other printed
material? Sources for parts? Someday, I hope to get this unit running and into an appropriate boat project - Any suggestions? Your thoughts or any
other details on this old motor/tranmission are greatly appreciated. Thank you. "

" Erik,
We did some resea

" Erik,
We did some research and found the following:
The 4-44 Gray marine engine was made from 1930 to 1936. From 1930 to 1935 is was a 200 cubic inch engine based on a Continental W-10 and W-11 block. For the 1936 year only it was a 227 cubic inch engine based on the Continental W-20 block.
After 1936 the went to GM.
The following is excerpted from a draft of a history of the Gray Motor Co. by John W. Mulford:

"The year 1936 became a great turning point in the history of Gray. At that time Gray started negotiating with General Motors for the marine conversion of the 6-71 Diesel...."

Hope that helps. You could check your bore and stroke and see if you have the 200 or the 227 ci engine.

Regards, Andrew "

Back