Logo

73 Mercruiser Mystery Ailment

R

Roger Aulabaugh

" Guys: A friend of mine just

" Guys: A friend of mine just installed a new 7.3L Mercruiser D-Tronic in his charter boat. New fuel filters, clean fuel, no air leaks, etc. He's experiencing frequent rpm drops of about 500 rpms throughout operating range. Then she'll come back up to normal settings. Told him I'd see if someone here had any ideas. Thanks. "

"Hi guys, i live in australia,

"Hi guys, i live in australia, and have a 28 foot charter boat that weighs around 10 000 pounds. The boat has a 7.3l mercury D-tronic 300hp diesel, that is using huge amounts of fuel, about 40% more than simmilar motors. At present its using 57 litres per hour at 3200rpm or 2.5 litres per mile and it uses 2.5 litres per mile through most of its rev range, motor has only done 350 hours from new, blows some black smoke, soots up the transom fairly quickly, and Mercury australia does'nt want to know about it.same boats with 260/300hp volvos or yanmars burn approx half the amount of fuel. Any ideas??? Cant find anyone in australia that has any ideas or anything about powerstrokes? HELP. thanks."

Back