Logo

Torque setting for jackplate to transon bolts 225hp OMC

J

joe boater

" What would be the correct to

" What would be the correct torque wrench setting to mount my jackplate to the boats transom or to bolt an engine to a transom 225 OMC, 12" jack. "

"Joe,

You have to remember

"Joe,

You have to remember that if you torque these things too much you can begin to compress the transom. On some boats, this can be a real problem. It all depends on how the transom is constructed. Most glass boats have a plywood core between the inner and outer laminations, but even this can be damaged by compressing it.

I don't use a torque wrench for this. I just use plenty of 3M 5200 around the fastenings and tihten them with a combination wrench until I feel that the fastenings are beginning to squeeze the transom.

That is tight enough for me.

"

"Joeboater
Johnson/Evinrude

"Joeboater
Johnson/Evinrude recommended torque of engine mounting bolts:in stages;10ftlb,25ftlb, final torque of 40ft.lbs,as per installation guidelines printed 1999 by OMC.
Zeke [email protected]"

" I've been using large pi

" I've been using large pieces of aluminum as backing plates to distribute the force. By using four 3/16 or 1/4 inch plates 3X3 or so, it helps prevent that compressing. You still want to get a feel for the transom as over-compressing, even with the plates, could be damaging.

Jon "

" Joe,

I believe I know the

" Joe,

I believe I know the reason for your question. Due to the metal to metal contact between the engine and the jack plate, the mounting bolts holding the engine to the plate tend to come loose. This is especially true with the larger HP engines. I have seen them shear off due to the owner not noticing them being loose. All of the prior replies have been accurate regarding the plate to transom bolts, but these engine to plate bolts are actually much more of a concern.

Fourty lbs. is sufficient touque, but maintaining this torque is the problem. I make sure and use nylock nuts along with lockwashers at this location. Jam nuts and locktite can't hurt either. Most importantly, check and retorque these bolts on a regular basis. Make it part of your pre-trip checklist. Good luck

Rick "

Back