PDA

View Full Version : Johnson 2 HP Question for Joe

jdkline
01-16-2003, 07:01 PM
" Joe,
I know that you said the 2HP motors need to run on the gravity drain tank. I was making repairs on the 2 horse and I ecided to see if I ciuld bypass the integrated tank since it was full of water. So I simply connected the remote tank to the fuel line that goes to the carb and pumpe dthe bulb until it was tight. Unbeleivably, it ran well until I disconnected the fuel line. I was wondering if running the engine this way could cause any damage to the engine. I used no fuel pump and just kept the bulb tight. What do you think?? "

sparky
01-16-2003, 11:14 PM
" All you have done here is supplied fuel to the carburetor , gravity fed or pressure from the hand pump makes no difference to the carburetor. "

F.E. Bear
01-17-2003, 08:34 AM
" I had the same problem with my 2HP Evinrude, running out of fuel in the middle of the lake while trolling. Adding fuel in the middle of the lake made rainbows. A No No. I added a "T" to the fuel line between the tank and carburetor and put an OMC fiting on it. I could then pump the engine tank full with the squeeze bulb. I also added a double loop of clear tubing to the fill cap vent so I could see when the tank was full. If you know how long you can run at a certain speed, just squeeze the bulb before you run out of fuel. Make sure the OMC fitting is higher than the engine tank or it will siphon the fuel back to the main tank. It works quite well and I did'nt run out of fuel since.
Fred "

max
01-27-2003, 12:29 PM
" Hello;

This is Max from the netherlands, europe;
I have just bought an Johnson seahorse 2 HP.
i have 2 questions;
> How do I set de carburettor, fuel and air?
> How much oil in de fuel?

Freindly greetings,

Max "Walleye" Uttien "

joereeves
01-27-2003, 06:27 PM
"Max.... The mixture would be 50/1 (1 US pint of 50/1 oil to 6 US gallons of gas), 87 octane gas will work just fine. Adjust the carburetor as follows:

(Carburetor Adjustments - Two Adjustable N/Vs)

Initial settings are:
Bottom high speed = seat gently, then open 1 turn out.

Top slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Setting the high and low needle valves properly:
NOTE: For engines that DO NOT have a shift selection, obviously there is no NEUTRAL position. Simply lower the rpms to the lowest setting to obtain the low speed needle valve adjustment.

(High Speed) Start engine (it will run pretty rough), shift into forward gear, take up to full throttle. In segments of 1/8 turn, waiting for the engine to respond between turns, start turning in the bottom high speed needle valve. You'll reach a point whereas the engine will either start to die out or spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the needle valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest setting.

(Low Speed) Slow the engine down to where it just stays running. Shift into neutral. Again in segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the top needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running. Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back. Again, at that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

When you have finished the above adjustments, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

Joe"

Phillip Smith
06-16-2003, 04:02 AM
" Hi Joe,

My son has restored a Johnson 4hp Seahorse Mod 4w76m Ser no a611979. It does not appear to have an air filter.Local knowlege here, says it does not need one.Is this true? Thanking you in advance and greetings from Australia.

Phill "

Phillip Smith
06-16-2003, 04:09 AM
" Hi Joe,

My son has restored a Johnson 4hp Seahorse Mod 4w76m Ser no a611979. It does not appear to have an air filter.Local knowlege here, says it does not need one.Is this true? Thanking you in advance and greetings from Australia.

Phill "