Logo

Evinrude 15 HP wonbt idle

G

Greg Wall

" 92 evinrude 15hp starts good

" 92 evinrude 15hp starts good, will not idle with choke all the way in. It will idle with choke 3/4 out. Runs great at full throttle.

How can this be fixed? "

"Greg..... You have just descr

"Greg..... You have just described a engine that has a fouled carburetor. If so, the cure would be to remove the carb, then clean and rebuild it.

That problem could also be caused due to having the adjustable slow speed needle valve (usually on top of the carb) set too lean. Try backing that needle valve out (counterclock wise) slightly (1/8 to 1/4 turn).

Some models do not have that adjustable needle valve. If yours does not, it would have a fixed brass jet. In which case, the carburetor is most likely fouled.

Joe
"

" I have a 83 15hp johnson. Th

" I have a 83 15hp johnson. The tilt lever works fine on the highest setting, but as of recently it stopped working on the lower setting.(The motor no longer stays up in the lower position). Nothing looks broken and nothing looks like it is missing. What could be causing this to happen? "

I've got a 92 140 Suzuki

I've got a 92 140 Suzuki that cuts out at low idle. Had the carbs rebuilt two years ago... could they be bad again? Is it a job a novice could do? Thanks.

" Joe,

I have 2 questions.

" Joe,

I have 2 questions.

Q#1 I have a 1974 Johnson 15 horse and I am not sure how to set the idle adjustment knob on the side of the engine, can you help?

Q #2 This 1974 15 hp is an extended shaft, can it be shortened?

Jim B. "

Back