Logo

Could somebody suggest a diesel inboard

P

Peter Smith

" I'm looking for some new

" I'm looking for some new engines to go into wooden self drive motor boats for use on smooth waters. At the moment they have old Stuart Turner engines but these are breaking down often. They are about 4hp. They are fitted at the centre of the boat. Does anybody know of a diesel inboard, preferably about the same power (higher would do - it could be restricted). These boats are hired out to the public so will get a fair bit of use, so I'm looking for something reliable, with parts readily available.

Any help much appreciated "

"Peter I may have an interest

"Peter I may have an interest in the engines taken out of service, Your email direct is not available
here so please contact me
Roger DiRuscio
[email protected]"

" Peter, Check your local phon

" Peter, Check your local phone book listing for Engines, Diesel or Boat Repair facilities and see whats available locally, if parts are a big concern. I would stick to a well known amarine diesel, such as Isuzu, Yanmar and so on. They have parts available world wide are very dependable, and easy to service. Many parts such as oil filters, air filters, fuel filters, etc are available at a local parts store for a fraction of the dealer cost. You can also go on the net and find out what models are available. Good luck and keep us posted as to your decision and down the road as to how things work out in the long run. They all run great when new, but after a few thousand hours is the real proof. Kim "

" Peter, where are you located

" Peter, where are you located??

I sell Lombardini engines in Melbourne, Australia, and would be able to do you an excellent deal on multiple engines.

I'd also be interested in the stuart turners.

email me for further info,

Rob "

" Peter,

I'm also inter

" Peter,

I'm also interested in the STs - I'm at Sydney, Australia "

" Why are the Stuarts breaking

" Why are the Stuarts breaking down, Peter? There is so little to break down. My 4 hp has been running for over 50 years (born in 1948) admittedly not every day and is on the original piston.
Is the standard of the maintenance up to speed? They do need a certain approach I will admit. "

" Thankyou to everybody that h

" Thankyou to everybody that has responded. For the people interested in the STs, bear in mind that I'm in the UK and shipping may be a problem. Out of interest, do you think there are many people generally interested in buying old Stuart Turners and what sort of price do they go for?

Russell - I have to admit that we have more problems since a certain member of staff left that was meticulous about maintenance, however our mechanic is of the opinion that it's just age that's got them and difficulty and cost of getting spare parts - we do seem to spend alot on them every year. Having said that they must have done alot of hours in their time - 9 hours a day during busy times. "

" UK is a bit far.

Since, I

" UK is a bit far.

Since, I posted my last message I've picked up a beautiful ST P5 here in Sydney Australia.

However, I'm still after a the large brass "throttle screw" that rotates in and out on the carburetter - its not on the P55 and I haven't got a leafet to know its exact name. Fairways do not have the part. The part is for a friend in Maroochydore, in Northern Queensland in Australia. Its a sad tale about someone stealing the part after he'd had the engine done up. Hope someone can help - anywhere in the world as the part will post easily.

thanks

Tim "

" If you have a problem with r

" If you have a problem with routine maintenance, you don't want Diesel engines. While they don't need tune ups as such, fuel quality is critical and a few drops of water in the fuel will ruin your whole day and if you don't keep the oil clean, more headaches. The bottom line is for what it would cost to repower your launches with diesels, you could probably hire a full time technician to keep your Stuarts humming quite nicely "

Back