Logo

Kad44p supercharger belt slipping

C

Corey Maire

"I am having continuos problem

"I am having continuos problems with my supercharger belt slipping. I have put new belts on it, a new tensioner pulley and still it slips and squeals creating a slow plane time. I set the belt to the factory specs with 5 mm of give at the proper point to no resolve. I think it is slipping at the main drive pulley but I am not 100 percent. I hear the clutch kick in and this is when it starts and it seems the belt slows down with no change in engine RPM. I was thinking of powercoating the main pulley but I am not positive that it is not the clutch. The clutch does engage and I tested it per the manual but I can't test to see if it is slipping. Is there a way to adjust the clutch if this is the issue. Anyone have any suggestions.

Corey"

"Probably not supercharger bel

"Probably not supercharger belt that is slipping but circulation belt to main drive pulley. If you have double vee belts, look into changing over to multi vee belt kit."

Not sure about the multi V bel

Not sure about the multi V belt kit but the drive pulley for the supercharger bolted to the block and when the belt driving the supercharger is removed I have no noise and also no noise between idle and 1400 where the supercharger kicks in or from 2800 up on where the supercharger kicks back out. My belts for supercharg have 5 or 6 male/female ridges/valleys like VVVVV

"Unfortunately a too well know

"Unfortunately a too well known problem. Back in Norway theese engines were/are gold mines for the penta dealers just because of this problem. Yearly belt replacements seems to be part of the normal service routines. Does not seem to be a problem for boats in continous use, but problems often appears short after winter storage. Be sure You get a 'fresh' belt, not one that has been lying around for some time. You almost have to smell the fresh rubber!"

I can deal with the yearly rep

I can deal with the yearly replacement of belts considering they take an hour and 120 bucks to swtich out. Now I have spare supercharger belts for two or three years. That sucker was really worn considering it has 150 hours on it but I guess the slipping didn't help nor did my issue with it not transfering from the supercharger to turbo properly earlier this year.

"It is important that if the b

"It is important that if the belt has been slipping, the pulleys are carefully cleaned and washed with acetone to remove all rubber remains on the pulleys. If Not You will soon be back in trouble again."

is the tensioner a allen key t

is the tensioner a allen key type or a bolt and locking nut..if its a bolt and nut type have you torqued it right amount..should be 40nm then tighten the locking nut while keeping pressure on the bolt..just crossing out the simple things

"Just tighten the circulation

"Just tighten the circulation pump belt. That will fix your problem. It is not the compressor belt. The circulation pump runs off the same cam as the compressor, making you believe the clutch / compressor is bad when the compressor kicks on. Tighten the circulation pump belt to 29' lbs. and let me know if this does not stop the problem. I had the exact same issue and found this to be the fix....."

Back