Logo

Alpha 1 oil leak

wellcraftnova230

Contributing Member
"Hello All,
So I decided

"Hello All,
So I decided to pull my outdrive off to find that my U-joint bellows were filled with gear oil. I realize that I have to replace those seals in the upper drive unit, does anyone know which special tools I am going to need as well as any tips? Thanks Jon"

spanner wrench and a service m

spanner wrench and a service manual the stub shaft is bad too. there is only one seal the other is your bellows proper reassembly required. more special tools. id find a good shop for this one. it would be cheaper in my mind. very easily done with correct tools .your not done yet now pressure and vacume test the outdrive make shure there are no more leaks

"So all I need is the spanner

"So all I need is the spanner wrench to take of that first nut? Do I need to disassemble the U-joints at all? How many seals do I need to purchase? Also, how much vacuum/pressure should the gearcase hold? Thanks Jon"

you only need to dissasemble u

you only need to dissasemble u joint if you need to replace stub shaft 1 seal and a outdrive instalation gasket set. check at 7psi and at 15psi the seal may not be the bad part usually the shaft and seal

So usually the shaft and the s

So usually the shaft and the seal are bad? I have a feeling this is a large leak due to the large amount of oil in the U-joint bellows. Is there any thing I should know when it comes to disassembling the U-joints from the upper gearcase? Thanks Jon

Back