Logo

DT 50 1982 low end power dropped off

P

pg

"Hi,

just wondering if any

"Hi,

just wondering if anyone can set me in the right direction..

I was cruising at 3/4 quarter throttle, for about 15mins, then reduced the throttle back to nearly idle, and the motor stalled...

Motor was difficult starting after that, but once started i had to quickly put into to gear to prevent it from stalling... low end power has reduced.

If i attempt to take off, motor hesitates then quickly takes off.. mid to high end power has not been affected.,..

Motor was running really well prior... ?

Help please ?"

do u have a water separator in

do u have a water separator in line prior to the fuel filter

i would check that and check fuel filter
sounds like u got some debris in the fuel lines and maybe the carbs

"No i don't have a water s

"No i don't have a water separator.

Do you think it could be a fuel pump problem ?? or more likey a blockage.???

Every time i start the motor (after an hour on anchor) i need to use the warmup lever...... is this normal... my previous suzuki, which was an earlier model DT30 would start first go without the warmup lever."

"when was the last tune up
if

"when was the last tune up
if u have to move warm up lever, u are en richening the motor.

you have a fuel restriction
could be fuel pumps, lines, filter, vent lines or carbs which includes sync and link"

"To my knowledge that engine h

"To my knowledge that engine has no acc pump in the carb system. If You lift the warm up lever You only advance timing and open up the carb (more air). This indicates more a 'too much fuel' problem than 'lean' problem. You may have a leaking float valve causing the carb to flood.
If the engine at low idle 'sneezes' and dies = lean, lack of fuel. If it just dies down = to much fuel. Also check that the choke system is not activated."

tune up was not that long ago.

tune up was not that long ago...

some one told me it could a blocked idle circuit and that i should spray some carbie cleaner down the jets.

"Tune up is one thing, cleanin

"Tune up is one thing, cleaning carbs another.
The only proper way to do it is the old fashioned: dismantle, clean and inspect. A rebuild/gasket kit might be handy, and perhaps a manual if You intend keeping the engine and do Your own repairs and service."

"That is correct, the warm up

"That is correct, the warm up lever advances timing and opens the throttle.

The idle screws are 2.5 turns out (manual says 1.75 to 2.25T) but i find that at 2.25 turns the engine runs rough.

DO you think the answer to my original stalling problem that occured in an instant is due to bad or dirty fuel or blocked carbie passage....

I am thinking that if the fuel pump was failing then it would have failed mid to high revs aswell."

"I think Your stalling problem

"I think Your stalling problem may be due to a leaking float valve inside the carb. I'm not too familiar with the details of Your carb. Some idle mix screws adjust air flow, some adjust fuel flow. If Your screw adjust airflow that means You leans out the mix by screwing it further out. This again may be needed due to too much fuel entering due to a leaking/flooding carb. As soon as You start crancking the engine the pump starts working, pressure is built up and carb might be flooding. Same goes at low rpm. At higher rpm the leakage might not be more than the engine might 'swallow'. You might have a look at Your sparks, if they are getting fouled down. You probably run NGK plugs and they are a bit more difficult to read than the Champions, but it should be noticable anyway.
What might have been the cause is probably dirty fuel or plain age!"

"The idle screw adjusts fuel f

"The idle screw adjusts fuel flow... on this carb.

Thanks, I will check plugs.....

if both plugs are similar then i would be leaning towards a common problem.
If i discover that one plug is different to the other, then i will conclude that one carb has a blockage or a leaking needle and seat.

Thanks for the help...."

Even check Your engine operati

Even check Your engine operating temp particularly at idle. If it does not reach the recommended temp You would have encrease the mix to compensate. Got a thermostate in the engine? It might be stuck open!

Back