Logo

Cat 3116 300hp vs 350

mistahays

Advanced Contributor
Guys.... looking at a 1999 sea

Guys.... looking at a 1999 searay with twin Cat 3116's rated at 300hp each. My question is this: Some 3116's are rated at 350hp. Does anyone know the difference between the two 3116 (electronic fuel controller?) and are they upgradable from 300 to 350hp?

David
The 3116 has had major

David
The 3116 has had major problems over its life. I would advise against the purchase of any vessel with these engines. Go on line and check out some of the threads.

"Dave, The 3116's that wer

"Dave, The 3116's that were problems had the engines casted in a Belgium plant. Your Cat dealer will be able to provide you with the bad block numbers...not all 3116's were bad engines, I have 2 great ones in my 42 Sea Ray!"

i also heard these were prone

i also heard these were prone to turbo problems. Not sure why since there are thousands of these running in vehicle and non road applications today. Any additional color?

"so, I'm back to looking a

"so, I'm back to looking at SeaRays. Specifically the 40 Sedan Bridge, which commonly has 3116's or 3126's. I plan ot spend $200k or so.

So far we know to watch for:
*those with certain faulty engine block castings
*turbo issues
*aftercooler issues.

Should i really be avoiding these diesels altogether or what? Seems to be a lot of these out there running and holding value. At what hours to these begin to get tired?

I'm a very experienced mechanic but not with Cats.

Thanks
David"

"I suppose i could go gas, but

"I suppose i could go gas, but that's an awful lot of boat to push with a couple MC380's."

Back