Logo

70 HP Evinrude E70TLCDC Low power

joey_b

"I believe that my engine is a

"I believe that my engine is a 1986 model. It originally had oil injection, but the fuel pump was removed and a new non oil injection pump was installed. The carbs have been cleaned and new gaskets installed. It starts and Idles fine, but has very little power over idle without activating the choke. I have tried new gas/oil mixture, and a new fuel hose and bulb. Once you activate the choke it will accelerate, but if you stop choking it bogs down. Pumping the bulb does not make any difference. Does anyone have any suggestions?"

Sounds like you are getting ai

Sounds like you are getting air from some where Re-check the bulb and hose ensure the bulb is in the right direct. Also does that fuel bulb stay hard or does it get soft?

"u are running to lean, to muc

"u are running to lean, to much air not enough of fuel

did u clean the carbs or did a shop"

"I would say your high speed j

"I would say your high speed jets are not clean,or you have a sticking inlet needle..u need to find the bad carb,and go back into it....."

"On those carbs the gasket &#3

"On those carbs the gasket '1B' (ref pic) is critical. If it does not seal properly the main jet '4' will not be activated. When assembling the carb bowls to the body, be sure that the gasket 1B starts sealing before the main gasket. Holding the carb upside down with seals on, just put the bowl on top. There should be a very slight gap between the bowl and outer gasket so You really have to compress the inner one (1B) when tightening the screws.
Then the main jets '4' have to be removed when cleaning, and check the bowls as well.
Next step is to do a proper sync of the carbs and pick up timing.
And finally be sure the gaskets for the air silencer are undammaged and sealing. The vacum created in the silencer works almost like an acc pump helping the main jets to start.
54159.gif
"

"When cleaning the carbs, the

"When cleaning the carbs, the only thing I didn't remove were the lead plugs on the side of the carbs. Should I have removed those?"

"Normally no need to remove th

"Normally no need to remove the lead shots. But when cleaning, just do not only blow with compressed air, but use a syringe with isopropanol in all channels, or what I found rather effective, the OMC cleaning solvent in a spray can."

"i have a 1977 70hp johnson,cr

"i have a 1977 70hp johnson,cranks and idles fine.will not reach top speed.comp,is only 5lbs diff between no.1 and no.3 piston.i have installed new ing,coils,new spark plugs,and had carbs rebuilt.could it be reed valves?"

Back