Logo

115 hp leaks oil

dsoliah

"My 1986 115 hp Yamaha leaks o

"My 1986 115 hp Yamaha leaks oil when it is not running. When I remove the hood, there is an oil puddle on the front part of the engine compartment; if I wipe it dry before running it, it is dry when I am done using it; however, as it sits, whether in an upright or tilted position, it starts to leak oil and I cannot locate where it is leaking. Eventually the oil will start running down the outside of the lower unit. It is not a large amount of oil, but in a few days it will amount to a couple of tablespoons or so - in a month, if it is not used, there will be a puddle on the cement floor of about 8 inches across- in any event, it seems to be getting worse and I sure could use some help.

Thank you."

"it is either the lines, check

"it is either the lines, check valves, oil pump or the tank

look around good with a flashlight
u should find it

remember gravity works here, so if u find it on one spot look higher"

I have an 89 115 yamaha and ha

I have an 89 115 yamaha and had the same problem. It was an overflow tube going to the upper oil reserve tank. Make sure you are using yamaha oil and clean the sensor 2 or 3 times but after a couple of overflows it started working again. You may need a new sensor if it keeps overflowing.

"The weather here finally got

"The weather here finally got so I could get my boat out and look for the leak, armed with your suggestions. As mentioned, the oil puddle was in the front part of the engine. I could not find any place where it was leaking, so I took off the plastic cover over the front of the carbs. There was oil on the inside of the plastic cover and there were oil drops on both of the carbs - looked to be coming from inside the carb as the drops were on the choke plates (excuse my poor terminology) and elsewhere - I had put in new spark plugs before I used it last and I checked them - they were fine - no evidence of running too rich -and while it does not idle as well as I would like, otherwise it ran fine - so, I guess I have found where the oil is coming from, but I have no clue what is wrong and would greatly appreciate your help/suggestions - Thanks, Dave S"

Back