Logo

Gimbal bearing Q

skelly1

"My boat is a 1971 model, the

"My boat is a 1971 model, the gimbal bearing is NFG and I need to replace it. There is a snap ring and I need to know if that has to be removed to get the bearing out. The engine is out and I can pound away with a sledge on the bearing, I just don't want to destroy the gimbal if the snap ring needs to be removed. I attempted to remove the snap ring but no luck yet."

"If your bearing appears green

"If your bearing appears green between the two races and the outer mount behind the snap ring is plastic, you can rotate the bearing to line up with the two cutouts in the plastic housing and turn the bearing 90*. the bearing will pop out thru the cutouts. If the area listed above is red and the outer housing is aluminum. They told me it could be done the same way but I was never able. If you need to remove the snap ring, you need a BIG snap ring pliers. Clean all the corrosion around the ring and soak it with pent. oil. The aluminum is thin in this area"

get a large pair of snap ring

get a large pair of snap ring pliers and a 3 jaw slide hammer . you also need an insaller .it only takes about 500.00 in tools to properly repaced that 50.00 bearing

"I just fixed the same problem

"I just fixed the same problem on my 1970. Pull the snap ring first. When you buy the new bearing set
(about $140.00) it will come with everything needed to replace the SET.... I used a regular slide hammer that I modified. (I cut it in half and welded in about a 12 inch piece of solid round stock steel. Worked like a charm. to reinstall I simply used a piece of 2x4 and a rubber mallet as my original manual told me to do. Time consuming yes expensive, wasn't for me! While your in there though check those u-joints and the bellows. Save yourself from having to pull that leg again.

Dave"

Back