Logo

Alpha I capabilities

T

Ty

"I am re-powering my 2452 Bayl

"I am re-powering my 2452 Bayliner, stock motor was the 5.0l carb, 220hp with an Alpha outdrive. I am looking at the 350MPI or maybe even the 383MPI, both motors exceed the 300hp max that the Alpha is rated for, but I believe others have used this combo effectively.

Will the Alpha handle either one of these motors (assuming I never bury the throttle out of the hole)?"

"Ty:
You may get by with a

"Ty:
You may get by with a full DRIVE SHOWER to cool the OD for awhile, but you eventually are probably going to have an OD failure. Since you are repowering, I would ask for a trade-in value for the Alpha 1 and go with a complete repower. Or sell the Alpha outright. What do you think guys?
Guy"

"Ty,

Mercruiser did offer t

"Ty,

Mercruiser did offer the Alpha I behind the 330 hp 454 at one time, but they didn't hold up that well. To make your set-up work with the Alpha you will need to change the gears in the upper drive assy. to go from 1.64:1 to 1.50:1. I'm with Guy. If you are planning to keep this boat for a while, and I'm assuming your are since you're repowering, I would spend the money and go with the whole Bravo package."

"Thanks. I suspected as much,

"Thanks. I suspected as much, although I really didn't want to buy a new outdrive and transom assembly, but I also don't want to be dead in the water 50 fifty miles from port with a 9 horse kicker. I guess now it only comes down to a Bravo I or III."

Per Rick's note... my fact

Per Rick's note... my factory mercruiser set up includes 220hp 350s coupled to 1.64:1 ratio alpha drives. atypical.

"Recently, I dropped in a 5.7

"Recently, I dropped in a 5.7 into a 25' Bayliner...I've replaced two Alpha 1 outdrives in 3 years since. All the experts have informed me the Alpha 1 should be sufficient for the weight of my boat, and it seems to work fine in a lake. However, when you get into situations where there is a tidal surge or currents, which are prevalent here in the Northwest, the Alpha drive just self destructs."

Back