Logo

Yamaha 115 2stroke wonbt start wo ether but runs great

brad52beard

"got a 200 2-stroke 115 that r

"got a 200 2-stroke 115 that ran great all summer, until 1 day it wouldn't (65hrs on engine). Dealer changed spark plugs and that was it. Now with 125 hrs on motor, same thing happened. I changed plugs, and it still woudn't start. I sprayed som ether in the airbox and it fired up and idled and ran great all day, no issues. Then 2 days later, it wouldn't start. Any ideas on what could be the problem?"

"It's a 2001 yamaha 2-stro

"It's a 2001 yamaha 2-stroke 115. I am fairly certain it doesn't have a prime start like the 90s, etc. However, I try and start by priming the bulb til hard, crack the throttle 1/4 or so, press keyswitch in (choke) and start while holding it in. The electric choke works just like the manual one, I've verified that. I've used this procedure all through last summer and never had an issue until the plugs were supposedly fouled. I just replaced them with NGK factory spec plugs with 0.035" gap (Owner's manual says 35-40 thousandths)."

no need to crack the throttle

no need to crack the throttle if everything is right

cool u know chokes work

i think it is time to clean carbs and do a sync and link

got a factory manual?

"No factory manual, but I just

"No factory manual, but I just went down there and tried to start it for first time in a week, no dice. I tried a little ether...fired right up then and idled, runs nicely. Can you describe what in the carb may need cleaning? I mean it idles and runs great, I would suspect a dirty carb would have probelms idling right. Also is the sync procedure difficult (i.e. do carbs have to be removed), and what symptoms would indicate a need for that?"

"i though u were down here in

"i though u were down here in FL, if that was the case i would have come over to help u

time to get a factory manual to start to understand how things work"

"Thanks for the offer of help.

"Thanks for the offer of help. I haven't run it much at all over the last few months, but tried to start it weekly. Could crappy gas be giving these symptoms? I topped off all my tanks at the end of summer and they're still 90% full. Will a clymers get me through it, or do I just have to have the factory manual?"

I found the problem...there is

I found the problem...there is a linkage that goes to the black airbox that evidently works in conjunction with the carb chokes that was disconnected. Once I hooked that back up the engine fired right up. It looks like a c-clip fell off that used to hold the linkage on the linkage. Thak goodness I don't have to go into the carbs. Thanks for the discussion.

I always like it when people p

I always like it when people post their fixes after the discussion instead of just leaving us hanging.

Back