Logo

New boat motor option

"All,
A friend of mine is pur

"All,
A friend of mine is purchasing a 2007 260 searay sundancer. I suggested to him to get the dealer to install a Fresh water cooling system. They are all telling him this is a mistake and RAW is the only way to go these days? Maybe I am behind on the times here. Am I missing something. This boat will strickly be used in salt water!"

I just converted my 27' fo

I just converted my 27' four winns to closed cooling due to the extreme build-up of crap in the block from salt. I'd never go with complete raw water cooling again personally.

"I'd like to hear the deal

"I'd like to hear the dealership's argument, and technical basis, on that one."

"So, I am not that far off. T

"So, I am not that far off. They are giving him some talk about new "coatings: in the block, etc. , etc.

Also they said the engine would run hot. I have slickcraft 1988, 1100 hrs fresh water cooled engines (350's)....no overheating problems to speak of. I think he is better off with the closed cooling option."

"Technically, they won't m

"Technically, they won't make as much money on service calls if it has the closed cooling because the salt won't eat through the motor.

In salt water, I don't think I would use raw water unless the motor was specifically made for that use. If the impeller goes away, it will overheat pretty quickly and with a heat exchanger, it buys some time."

"Crusader has not made new raw

"Crusader has not made new raw water cooled packages in years, frewhwater cooling is standard on all of their product. That should tell you something."

"In FRESH water, raw water eng

"In FRESH water, raw water engines last until they need rebuilding anyhow. In salt, though...

One of the hidden advantages of FWC (as Jim noted) is avoiding an instant meltdown should the raw water pump curcuit suddenly fail (due to: plugged inlet, thrown belt, blown impeller, hose collapse, hose failure, etc.--lots of reasons). A raw water cooled motor will destroy itself in 30 sections under power (as I found out last year). A FWC system, by compaison, simply starts to overheat like a car/ truck engine, which gives one time to save it.

Another advantage is winterizing. If ignored or botched, the motor is undamaged--only the heat exchanger and other stuff gets wrecked.

Jeff"

Back