Logo

Yamaha 225 hp 4stroke not flushing

horizons

"I have twin Yamaha 225 4 stro

"I have twin Yamaha 225 4 strokes with 230 hours. About 50 hours ago the starboard engine started to flush less and less through the hose connection to the point where the water now flows less than 20 % of what the port engine does when being flushed in the same condition.
-I removed the lower engine anode and turned the hose on; on the starboard engine the water never reached the level of the anode, on the port engine it quickly overflowed.
-Neither engine gives signs of over heating.
- When under way, water flows well from the pee hole in a similar way on both engines.
- Two Yamaha dealers told me not to worry as long as the engine doesn’t over heat; it’s not worth the trouble to figure what is wrong and they have no idea what it could be.
- The Yamaha motors customer assistance basically said the same. He had never heard of this problem.

Has any one had a similar experience? How can I make sure the engine is being properly cooled, (don’t care too much to have a over-heating incident some where offshore or damage the engine).
I do have a infra red thermometer which I can point towards a heat source and will try to find any hot spots that way . Any other suggestions?
Thanks
Frank"

"replace the impellers, t-stat

"replace the impellers, t-stat, and poppet valve

when was the last time u did that?"

"Impellers replaced 20 hours a

"Impellers replaced 20 hours ago.
Thermostats probably never replaced; for sure not in the last 150 hours since I have owned the boat; however is it correct to say that since there are 2 t-stats, both would have to be blocked to explain why so little water circulated to the engine anodes level and in that case the engine would certainly be overheating when running?
What is a poppet valve?
Thanks
Frank"

"poppet valve is used to bypas

"poppet valve is used to bypass when water pressure increase when u go off idle
they are a pain to get to, at least my HPDI was

replace the t stats there i think are 2 per motor on ypurs

both do not have to be blocked

have u ever run salt away in the motor, i do and saw no salt build up water so ever

when i did the t-stat on my 9.9 i found bird feathers up in the t-stat

are u using the flush attachment, or muffs to rinse"

"Puppet valve: somewhere I rea

"Puppet valve: somewhere I read that this engine does not have release or puppet valves,I'll read through the Clymer shop manual I have to check this out.
T-valve: yes there are 2 and they are hard to reach (burried under a bunch of wires). I'll put that on my to do list.
Salt away: yes I use it every two flushes.
Flushing; up to now I use the flush attachement. ( it allows to flush the engine while in the water.)"

"throw the clymer manual away,

"throw the clymer manual away, get a factory one
the cylmers are known for wrong readings and specs

what year 225"

OK
Do you think that will sol

OK
Do you think that will solve the flushing problem or is it just could maintenance (and I should do the other engine also)?

when hooked to the yamaha flus

when hooked to the yamaha flushing attachment just because it does not pee strong it is ok most of your water is flowing out exaust and down the water tube which creats a vacum and makes it hard to pee. but if you hooked up the rabbit ears and start it it will pump better yet back it into the water submerge the lower unit and run it will pump even better . the f225 requires more water than the hose will give it thats why they are quiet. water labrinth exaust system. aim your infared at each thermastat housing should not go much over 140deg

however there are a couple of

however there are a couple of hitches water flows thru regulator and fuel pump to cool. could easily get stopped up there i have been here before and i am shure i found sea weed of some sorts in the regulator. which is behind that big air box

"Shawn,
Thanks; after Justint

"Shawn,
Thanks; after Justintime's input and yours here is what I will attempt to do;
1- use the rabbit ears and see what happens. I did try once but as it was the first time ever, when the water did not seem to flow out generously at idle rpm I stopped real fast. Do I need to reve the engine up a little or a lot when using the rabbit ears to ensure a good flow of water?
2- check and possibly replace the thermostats. I spent a while last week end I could not for certain locate them. The Clymer shop manual seems to give a wrong picture of it.I have replaced t-stats on other type of engines but here I am having trouble recognizing them. Any help there?

Thanks. Should be at the boat in a few days and will let you know what I found."

"they are on to of the heads,

"they are on to of the heads, on each side with 4 bolts

go to yamaha's web page and look up parts there
they have a blow up diagram of your motor"

"Spent Friday AM on the boat a

"Spent Friday AM on the boat and here are the results :
1- I used the rabbit ears to flush the starboard engine, it went very well. At 900rpm water came out of every hole including the pee hole; at 600rpm same but only intermittent water from the pee hole. It seems that the cooling system works fine.
2- I did locate the 2 thermostats but what neither the Clymer nor the Yamaha schematic indicate are all the wiring, hoses and even hardware that obstruct access to the thermostats. It is a mess to access them (in particular the port side). Before trying myself I will get a quote from a mechanic to replace the 2 thermostats on both engine.
3- In the meantime I will flush the starboard engine when ever possible on land with the ears ; the port engines flushes very abundantly with the hose attachment. Still no explanation on why flushing the starboard engine with the hose attachment is very weak maybe 20% flow compared to the port engine but now that I know the cooling system works OK ."

maybe you should inspect the w

maybe you should inspect the water pump on that engine and if bad or worn replace both of them way cheaper than replacement of an engine a good mechanic can do one an hour. you may have picked something up in that pump 30 sec without water and it will be damaged

The impeller was replaced 20 e

The impeller was replaced 20 engine hours ago in part because of the poor flushing issue.Also since flushing with the rabbit ears worked well wouldn't this confirm that the water pump is operating well? ( by the way a mechanic charged $800 parts tax and labor to replace the pumps on both engines; which is the "official" Yamaha rate for that job; thankfully he showed me how to do it including a few "tricks" and next time I certainly will do it myself. It actualy took him 3.5 hours to do it.

Back