Logo

Doubled up on oil mix in 15hp Evinrude

J

Jon Davis

"I just bought a 2002 15hp Evi

"I just bought a 2002 15hp Evinrude electric start. Ran beautifully the first time out. Filled it up and put in twice as much oil as I should have. Figured out what I had done when it was smoking excessively and didn't have nearly the power it should have next time out. I've corrected the fuel mixture (it's at 50:1 now), but it's still running poorly - doesn't have the speed it should, and still smokes. At full throttle, it shows momentary "bursts" of speed, like it's trying to run faster, it just can't do it. I'm thinking that replacing the plugs, and cleaning the fuel pump filter may help, but any advice would be greatly appreciated."

"Thanks for the replies. I cha

"Thanks for the replies. I changed the spark plugs and it started out wonderfully. Tooled around a while, stopped and fished, and when we started out again, it was the same story - just didn't have the power, again. I talked to the guy and the marina who suggested changing the fuel lines, which he said he did every couple years on his. I've got the new ones installed, now I just need to see if that does the trick."

Back