Logo

Boating accident

"Someone should make this thre

"Someone should make this thread sticky so it doesn't get pushed to the back, for those who want to make their boat a lot faster. Good link for the "I have a 19' Capri and I wanna go 60MPH" crowd.

To those people- if it had been designed to go fast, it would already. Some boats are pushing the envelope as it is. Some hulls just can't handle high speeds."

"when i was a youngster, I rem

"when i was a youngster, I removed the 70 evenrude off my 16' glastron and put a 150 yamaha 6 cyl on it. Rated for something like 100hp... the boat went 60. No trim, no nothing. Motor seized up after 2 days forcing me back to my 70. Scary. Very stupid."

I hate that things like this h

I hate that things like this happen.
- The two victims killed (other than the idiot driving).
- The tennage girl survivor will likley never step foot on another power boat... can't say as I'd blame her.
- The countless hours spent picking bodies from the sea and assembling debris.
- Another opportunity for would be 'do-gooders' to initiate legislation to impose more restrictions on boaters in an attempt to keep things like this from happening. "You can't fix stupid." ...danmed if we don't try.

Somebody at Powerplay engineer

Somebody at Powerplay engineering is a little nervous about now. Those off shore boats should be able to take that kind of beating. The stupid element is the running of the boat with a known issue. sad.

The "known issue" &#40

The "known issue" (stress crack) is more likely the result of the continuous pounding the guy gave his boat rather any flaw in manufacturing. Seems he had the sense to tell everyone to sit down... too bad he didn't have the sense to pull back on the throttle.

"Boater safety- now THERE'

"Boater safety- now THERE'S a concept. Kind of like Jet Skiers who haul azz toward people, cut the throttle and realize too late that they have no steering. Brilliant! Nobody wants to ask "What happens if....?" and many wouldn't understand if they knew.

Yeah, it's very unfortunate but it could (should) have been avoided.

One other thing that nobody seems to think is necessary is the safety lanyard. Nobody attaches it and while it gets in the way most of the time, there are times when it's definitely better to be inconvenienced than dead or to kill someone else.

PowerQuest took a boat to a local dealer here in the Milwaukee area and while they were out on the lake, they were hauling azz and caught a wake at about a 45 degree angle. Everyone was tossed out of the boat and since the driver left the lanyard hanging, the boat kept hauling azz directly toward shore, where it smashed against the rocks, fairly close to the launch.

Good thing it wasn't a weekend.}"

"It's pretty amazing how m

"It's pretty amazing how many people own and operate small craft that really have no idea how or what makes it work. I'm not saying you need be able to tear down the engine and rebuild it blindfolded or anything, but at least have enough respect for your own life, and the lives on those on board, and on vessels (or land) around you, to know the characteristics, capapbilities, and more importantly the limitations of the equipment you're operating.

Like Jim said... It's the questioning attitude that saves your butt."

"Right. Before long every boa

"Right. Before long every boat owner will be required to have a licence, which means passing a Safe Boating Course. Long overdue.

Jeff"

"As far as I'm concerned,

"As far as I'm concerned, drivers of anything should have to pass a periodic test on driving rules and safety. Bicycles, mopeds, motorcycles, cars, all trucks, boats, no exceptions. This would be automatic after a couple of moving violations. I see people do so many stupid things on the road it's amazing to me that they even passed and got their license in the first place. 18-20 year olds doing a U-turn at a controlled intersection is a big one here- illegal and at the most, it's only 4 years after they "passed" their test. They need to teach more about what happens when someone takes their foot off the gas, loses traction, goes airborne or the vehicle stops immediately (the contents keep going).

There are only two reasons someone doesn't have a pile of tickets or a lot of accidents after driving for a long time- either they haven't been caught or they're actually a good (prudent) driver."

"Connecticut Makes us get a sa

"Connecticut Makes us get a safe boating certificate. It is a big waste, you take a 8 hour class then take a test right after the class (within ten min of what you learned) multiply choice. pay $20.00 and now your a safe boater! you dont ever have to see a boat let alone have been on one or operate it."

Back