Logo

b88 Yamaha 115 very hard to start

starksrob

"My '88 Yamaha 115 2 strok

"My '88 Yamaha 115 2 stroke is extremely hard to start after it has set for a few days. However, after it finally starts, it runs great and starts up fine the rest of the time on the water. My Mercury 115 that I had on my old boat started right up. I have tried pumping the bulb until it was firm, choking, etc., with the same results. I have also tried only pumping the bulb once or twice with the same results. What do ya'll think? The engine has not been used very much at all over the years and it has plenty of compression, no fuel leaks, plugs look to be in good shape (I did remove and clean them). Should I install new plugs?"

Pumping your bulb ( manual

Pumping your bulb ( manual fuel pump ) fills the carburetors and does no more magic. Pushing the key in and holding it in while cranking is the proper method for starting.

Mine has a separate choke swit

Mine has a separate choke switch rather than the push-the-key-in method. I have been using the choke with no luck. I had a 40 hp Yamaha back in 1988 and it started right up every time-even after sitting for quite a while. I'll check the choke plates today and see where I stand. Thanks for the help!

"It is actually my Dad's b

"It is actually my Dad's boat and he just bought it about six months ago. The dealership supposedly went through the motor and "tuned it up". However, after I check these choke plates that will be the next stop. It is alot less of a headache to let someone who knows Yamahas fix it. I have had nothing but Mercurys for the last almost 20 years. I have gotten used to and figured a few tricks to get around their cold naturedness. Thanks again!"

my recommendation is buy a man

my recommendation is buy a manual or borrow one from the library
just do a step by step thing
if could be simple or could be a pain
u never know

"If in fact you have clean car

"If in fact you have clean carburetors , good compression and good spark at the right time the motor should start properly.Now on YAMAHA and others the builders have gone to a " rubber " coated material on the reed boxes. The stuff called gasoline today attacks rubber product. It may be worth checking this , I have seen these things cracked and if it was my motor I would remove reed boxes for an inspection."

I'll check the reed boxes.

I'll check the reed boxes. If I can find them. I also have to flush my speedometer line. It only goes up to about 35 mph when I know for a fact that the boat is going about 50 or so. But that is a new topic altogether. Thanks!!

i dont think your choke is wor

i dont think your choke is working properly take hood off and have someone activate the choke it is attached to the air box round solenoid has a plastic arm that attaches to the chock linkage held on by a very small o ring . you should have up and down movement of the linkage when choke is activated and deactivated by switch .key must be on . engine not running

Back