Logo

b99 40 hp hope this an easy one

B

Brian Thomas

"I went to winterize my boat o

"I went to winterize my boat over the holidays and found that the motor wouldn't turn over. I figured the battery would be going sometime anyway, so I bought a new one thinking that would do the trick. Still nothing. I checked the new battery with a volt meter and it read right at 12 volts. I hooked the accessory leads to the battery and they all work fine (lights, depth finder, etc.).

The motor turned over and ran fine when I last used it this summer, so I'm thinking this is probably an easy fix but I'm not sure where to start. Oh yeah, the power tilt doesn't work either, so that tells me no power is getting to the motor. So I'm thinking it's either bad battery cables, bad ignition switch in the control box, or a blown fuse somewhere. Or maybe it's something I'm not thinking of. I appreciate any advice on what to check and the best order to check things in to isolate the problem.

Thanks"

"u do not need key on for the

"u do not need key on for the power trim and tilt
do u have a battery disconnect switch, or circuit breaker

get a test light and see if u r getting power to the starter solenoid"

No battery disconnect switch o

No battery disconnect switch or circuit breaker that I'm aware of but I'll do more looking.

I think I have a test light. I'll check out the solenoid.

Thanks

"I had a feeling this was goin

"I had a feeling this was going to be easy, but it was easier than I thought. Turned out to just be battery cables that needed cleaning. I checked the trim/tilt on Saturday and it worked a little. Then I used a test light to see if current was getting to the starter solenoid as you suggested. The test light came on so I tried cranking it. The starter gear spun, but didn't engage in the flywheel. So I disconnected the cables, gave them a good cleaning with a wire brush and reconnected them. She cranked right up. Getting this figured out and fixed made my whole weekend. Thanks for the help.

Brian"

Back