Logo

Crusader 454 runs out of fuel

clinton

"I am guessing this has to be

"I am guessing this has to be fuel pump - but this forum has proved me wrong on many occasions!
1982 healthy Crusader 454 FWC, when running is fine at higher rpm but at lower rpm occasionally "runs out of fuel" - water seperator full of fuel but filter is empty?. Have replaced fuel lines and filter -if the engine has been sat for a period of time it takes ages to start, the next day/couple of days it will start fine. If after being sat for a while i crank the throttle fast (back and forth) it starts a lot quicker (but still takes a good minute). Once running it runs and idles fine (does stall occasionally at low rpm cruising)
Fuel pump? (looks like a carter pump) any other ideas welcomed before i order parts (takes 3 weeks to get to Aust so want to be sure!!)
thanks
Clinton"

It sounds like an air leak on

It sounds like an air leak on the suction side of the lift pump. If your water separator is a Raycor it has a check valve that stops fuel from draining back to the tank. If there is a leak in the line or even the filter you will not see fuel dripping but you will draw air. The leak can be all the way back to the tank in the pick up tube. You will have to go through the system and check. It could be leaking in the filter itself as most people think that the o-rings that come with new filters are to be added to the collection and not changed out every time.

HI there
thanks - it does not

HI there
thanks - it does not have racors but a similar sort of set up - have checked all fuels lines etc and all looks ok - the water seperators show fuel dripping in when the motor is cranking and running - the problem doesnt happen all the time though so its hard to tell - i will swap fuel pumps from port to starboard to see if problem "switches" motors -

Back