Logo

Emergency Spares

adam_g

Contributing Member
"I recieved an excellent boati

"I recieved an excellent boating handbook for Christmas. In the essential emergency spares it listed a raw water pump impeller. Is it realistic to expect to be able to change this out while on the water? I can barely touch the mounting bolts, much less remove them on a pitching boat. Should this be routinely changed every year? 7.4 L, Bravo I, 24' Sea Ray"

"If you use the boat a lot, it

"If you use the boat a lot, it's worth changing once a year.
Not 100% sure about the bravo, but on an alpha, to change the impeller, the boat has to be out of the water. I suppose, given the choice of dying or trying to replace it at sea, I'd certainly give it a shot.
It wouldn't be unrealistic to change it in the parking lot next to the boat ramp though!

I think your book is probably referring to the impeller for a raw water pump that is inside the boat... not an integral part of the outdrive."

"Use an hour meter!! I change

"Use an hour meter!! I change mine based on hours of use, every year or 200 hours. They can go for ever, but why risk it. It is possible to do it at sea, but it takes about 400% more time, let alone trying not to lose and of the bolts and nuts."

Back