Logo

Mercruiser 470 info required

aussie_trev

"Does the MCM 470 have a resis

"Does the MCM 470 have a resistor or non resistor coil and can an aftermarket coil be fitted?
Is there an electronic ignition available?
My engines are fitted with Pretolite starter motors, one of which "jams" on the ring gear and I need to physically remove the starter to free it up only to have the same problem re-occur soon after. What are the possible causes and solutions.
Thanks for your assistance info on Mercruisers is not easy to get hold of in Australia! Trev"

"Not that i'm the best guy

"Not that i'm the best guy to answer these, but here are some thoughts. I thought resister coils were integral to points ignition... meaning if it has electronic ignition - no resister. Food for research.

Sounds like your starter is misaligned with the ring gear. Not sure about the specific application, but there are sometimes shims between the starter and the block. Make sure the starter doesnt jam on its own."

"Hi,
The 470 starter does not

"Hi,
The 470 starter does not operate like the starters found on most engines. The starter has no selnoid that moves the starter drive into the flywheel. It's an inertia drive system.
The drive is thrown forward when the starter motor spins. These type of starters will hang up if the engine fails to start and pressure is held on the drive from the flywheel keeping the dive from disengaging. This drive staying engaged makes it hard for the starter to turn from a stopped position.
At times just bumping the key will free the drive but if that doesn't work just moving the crankshaft back will allow the drive to return to the standing position.
Of course this is if there is no other problem such as a starter motor that will not spin free or a drive that doesn't move free on the motor shaft.
If the drive is staying engaged after the engine starts then there is another problem of which I could not tell without looking at it.
These starters can be a real pain but they do work well for the most part. Most problems are when the engine is not running right and tries to start and doesn't. Then the starter will not say engaged to keep turning the engine and makes it very hard to start.
Good luck."

"Thanks Charli, Think you have

"Thanks Charli, Think you have hit the nail on the head. It appears that if the voltage is not 100% then the starter may hang-up. I will in future hook up 2 batteries if one looks a bit low. I have been able to free up the starter by levering the ring gear through the inspection hole in the bellhousing.
It appears by the voltage at the coil that the coils have an inbuilt resistor.
Still keen to find out wether there is an electronic ignition available???
Thanks for the feedback!"

"Our electronic ignition syste

"Our electronic ignition system works extremely well on 470s as they have a nice flat torque curve and respond from faster starting to top RPM. Only $189.95 which includes the special AAA MARINE coil which will solve your resistor problem too. You will have to change your spark plug wires to support this high voltage coil, so figure in another 49.95. You'll love it! More info at aaamarine.com"

Back