Logo

BF45A LRTA Water seal needs replaceing

muddweller

"Hi, I have a BF45A which has

"Hi, I have a BF45A which has gear oil seeping out around the propellor shaft, the water seal appears to be coroded. My manual says I need special tools and a press for the bearings, is there any other way of replaceing this seal and what other parts would need replacing at the same time.

Much appreciated
Karl"

"Why the need for a pressure t

"Why the need for a pressure test, could it be coming from somewhere else?. The seal is clearly rotten is this unusual ?

Cheers
Karl"

"fine u can replace them, but

"fine u can replace them, but sometimes it is more than that

u have 5 seals on lower units

-drive shaft
-prop-shaft
-shift-shaft
-drain plug
-vent plug

water pump is not a seal that keeps water out of the lower unit, anybody who tells u that is full of....."

"After you remove the prop sha

"After you remove the prop shaft carrier, you can take a long screwdriver and knock the seal out from the inside. Once the seal is out, place a socket or other similary sized cylindrical peice of metel on the seal (to protect the seal and displace the pressure as you tap it in with a hammer). You don't have to remove the bearing to replace the seal. It's good practice to replace the shift shaft seal and drive shaft seal at the same time."

"Thanks for the advice people,

"Thanks for the advice people, since I don't have any means of pressure testing I thought I'd better leave it to people who have the right tools ie my local Honda dealer, he charged me £38.00 for replaceing the seal and pressure test which wasn't so bad.

Regards
Karl"

"Damn cheap, I'd say. D.I.

"Damn cheap, I'd say. D.I.Y. is great, but all dealers aren't evil. talk them up to Your buddies. word of mouth is the best advert."

Back