Logo

Johnson 25 not run for 5 years any checks to do b4 starting

I

Iwan Lane

" Hi there,
I've been giv

" Hi there,
I've been given a Johnson 25 that hasn't been run for many years. In fact, it looks so new that perhaps it has never been run since it was purchased.
Are there any checks that I should do before connecting the fuel and pulling the starter?
Would the motor need "breaking-in" before I can go full throttle?
Thank you in advance for your help.
Iwan "

Don't worry about impelle

Don't worry about impeller. Check for water when you first start it. If you can reach a plug in bottom of carb. Open it and pump gas thruough to flush anything you can. Spray a little lube in cylinders. And keep your first tank a little rich to help lubricate the crank better. Check lower unit for oil. Do not use any starting fluid. If it does not start check for spark or stop switch.
If on a cold start at idle it does not pump water in 7 or 8 seconds or so replace impeller. Good Luck Check break in procedure with OMC and follow it. Before wide open.

" If it was indeed not ever us

" If it was indeed not ever used, you must follow new engine break in procedure. Theis is as follows: First 15 minutes-slow idle only. Next six hours no more than 1/4 throttle. Next six hours, use the engine at all speeds including short bursts of no more than thrity seconds at wide open throttle. Most importantly, you need to run double oil 25:1 instead of 50:1 for the first 25-30 hrs. I think this is the procedure. Check it in the shop manual or with a dealer r maybe Joe or Sparky will say for sure if I'm correct. I know that's the procedure and I'm sure about the double oil, but not quite sure on the # of hours. It's been awhile... "

Thank you all so much.
This

Thank you all so much.
This is the coolest site.
Iwan

" Please help me gather inform

" Please help me gather information about the problem I am having with my Evinrude manual start outboard -1995 model E25REO. It is a very dependable engine that has always started for me since I got it about 6 months ago. Just the other day I was stranded for the first time ever and I am now trying to troubleshoot the problem. When I try to start it is is almost as if the kill switch is pressed. I cleaned the plugs and found there is no spark. I tested the plugs again after disconnecting the ground connected to the kill switch and still no spark. I am not sure what to do next as far as electrical goes. Additionally, it seems that fuel is getting as far as the fuel filter and the screen seems very clean so I assume it goes past there, but even after many pulls the spark plugs do not seem very wet, but it is hard to tell and I definitely smell gas. Thanks for any advice on how to figure out the answer to this problem. "

Back