Logo

Running Temp

flo

Hi all I've got 2 1991 OMC

Hi all I've got 2 1991 OMC Cobra 4.3L HO engines in the boat.
I'm trying to find out what their running temp is expose to be. One runs out at 160 the other at 170
Does anyone know what the manufactures specs say.
Thnx

"160-170 is fine, I suspect th

"160-170 is fine, I suspect the engines are running the same temp you just have senders or gauges that are slightly off. Don't worry about it. This is commom in boats"

"As the Captain says you shoul

"As the Captain says you should be fine, normal Cobra's that are raw water cooled should have a 160 t-stat in them, If you have the closed cooling option (heat exchanger) then they can run hotter with a 170 t-stat as they usually have antifreeze in them. You could always pull the t-stat and see if it's a 160, they are stamped on the top. I also have a pair of Cobra's 1989 460's and the starboard engine has always shown 170 on the gauge and the port has always shown 160. I have changed both t-stats over the years for stuck open problems and it didn't change the reading on the gauge so it is most likely in the sender or gauge and I'm ok with that."

"The most common reason for di

"The most common reason for different readings on instruments, particular with resistant reading senders, are the different length of the cable harness to stb resp port engines from engines to instrument."

Back