Logo

Merc inline 6

ronb

just bought a cheap boat. It

just bought a cheap boat. It has a inline 6 165hp. boat has been sitting for 2 years. not sure if it was winterized. I checked the oil. it is milky white and really full. Im guessing maybe it was winterized and a gasket cracked or worse. I was going to change the oil and start it up. To see what im working with. any suggestions on were to begin. would be appreciated.

"Look for rust lines running h

"Look for rust lines running horizontally on the block. That indicates a cracked block and if you buy a reman, it's not going to be cheap since the core for these is pricey, due to so many freezing. Best advice I can give is: shop around for it. You're going to see prices all over the map and a good warranty will help but good remanufacturing technique means more because freezing isn't covered."

"I'm guessing that it Wasn

"I'm guessing that it Wasn't winterized,+ Cracked the Block, Dumping all the Water into the Oil Pan,.....
That's Why it's so Full..........

Do some Looking,......
Older Chevy/ GMC Pickup trucks used the Exact Same motor...........
The 250cid used in Cars,+ Some pickups Don't have the Ears/ Boltholes for the Front Motor Mount,....
So watch Closely for That........

Good Luck,......."

I appreciate the responses. I

I appreciate the responses. Im gonna get it home at the end of the week. Any thing I should do before I try and start it?

"Does it even Turn Over,..??..

"Does it even Turn Over,..??....
Have you put a Wrench on it,..??...

I figure you've just going to Waste 5qt.s of Oil,+ a Filter Anyways..........

If it was Me,....... I'd Pull the Motor......"

Im not sure. Im going to pick

Im not sure. Im going to pick it up onn thursday. Its a freshwater 1980 22.5 ft bayliner. with a trailer. good canvas. I paid $500.00

"Ron
Do not try and start thi

"Ron
Do not try and start this egine with the oil in that condition. If the engine is OK, you will damage it in the atempt. The oil must be drained. If your in a cold zone, warm the engine with heat safely then drain oil. The excess is water, it entered in one of several ways, through the carb then through a open valve. Or while it was running with damage to a head or riser. I took over a 30ft 454 powered work boat, which had not run for 9 year. Its fine with no repair. So drain oil, pull plugs after refilling, put small amount of oil in each clyinder then roll over the engine with plugs out. COmpression test engine. If Ok Install plugs and atempt to start with out water. If it starts shut down right away. Look for damage area, then bring water see if block is OK. Good Luck"

"22.5' is a lot of boat fo

"22.5' is a lot of boat for a 3 L motor to push. Personally, and I know this is probably a personal thing for you. I would try to sell it for more than the $500 you have into it. The trailer is worth that if it's in good shape, the hull, running gear, etc makes it a good boat for someone who can fix it really cheaply but it's still a 3L motor. Skiing will be difficult for smaller people, just about impossible for bigger ones, even with a "dole fin" (anti-cavitation plate). You can actually make money with this boat and get something that will need less work to get it running. That has to be worth something to you. Like I said, if you buy a reman motor, the core charge is gonna really surprise you. I wouldn't try to run a 22.5' boat with less than a 4.3L motor unless it had a really efficient hull design which, unfortunately, the Capri doesn't have. Not a bad boat but it takes a bit to get it going, due to hydrodynamics."

i just want to use the boat fo

i just want to use the boat for fishing on lake eerie. I thought the boat was kind of underpowered. the boat is in pretty good shape considering its age.

"If you can get a used but goo

"If you can get a used but good motor, you should be OK. Check into marine salvage dealers- I would think that there should be one close to you.

Catch some walleye for me."

"Let us know how it goes, Ron.

"Let us know how it goes, Ron. Maybe you'll get lucky and have a working motor with no cracks et al. I doubt it. GM 250 cubic inch motors from a Chevy pickup or van would sufice if you had to put a long block in it. There is a 292 CI variety as well that should bolt up as well."

"Ron,

Where on Lake Erie ar

"Ron,

Where on Lake Erie are you at? Lakeside Marine in Port Clinton will probably be able to match you with another motor if you need one. If you need anyone in the Cleveland to Sandusky area to help or look at the new/old one, let me know.

Mike"

"Ron,

A great place to have

"Ron,

A great place to have a look at the motor is Griff's in Sandusky. They just did some awesome work on my buddy's Chris Craft 350Q motor. Look them up, you can't go wrong.

Mike"

"STOP!!!! I've had this s

"STOP!!!! I've had this same engine for 15yrs. I've had this same problem twice! It is probably NOT a cracked block. The GM 250CID L6 engine had an engineering problem with the heads. The exaust valve seat is very thin and when the engine was cooled with raw water the head would corrode rite at the valve seat. This would emit water into the cyl. When you storred the boat the water would leak past the rings and milk the oil. It's a real easy head to remove, take it to an engine shop and have it pressure tested. If it's cracked you only need to change the head. If it's not cracked you have a cracked block. If the block is cracked you'll be taking the head off anyway; soo....

That is my advice"

Back