Logo

WOT Timing advance on 1974 Evenrude 50HP

grafisher

"I have recently cooked my mot

"I have recently cooked my motor,(no oil)and was lucky enough to have found an identical enginge with 140psi each cyl. My problem is that the first (cooked) motor would push my boat along with alot more power. I now have more compression with the new slower engine and have changed carbys and coil packs from the cooked motor over, but no power increase. Just looking at the differece in the settings on the two engines and have found that the stopper for the ignition timing on the cooked engine was wound out nearly an inch allowing alot more travel for the timing arm. Can I just set the stopper to the same posistion or do I need to check the WOT timing setting as well as they are the same engines, will there be any/much variation? remembering these two engines are indentical. any help would be appreicated.Thanks"

definately check timing. don&#

definately check timing. don't guess at it. You could ruin Your new powerhead in a few minutes time. manual will give timing procedure.

Thanks very helpfull..........

Thanks very helpfull............."not"
Can anyone supply me with the correct timing advance? Dont really feel like forking out $60 for less than one line of text.............

"It is not a question of setti

"It is not a question of setting timing but the total sync procedure i just as important.
I honestly did not like Your comment in the '225 posting'. We may be around giving advice for free!!! We may tolerate some jokes from time to time, but if You do not accept an advice about buying a manual so You may get Your engine to operate in a safe way without some verbal 'puking', then buy a paddel! We do not wish to be held acountable for giving wrong info, and recomend everyone that wants to repair and understand their engines to have a proper manual at hand. Even with a manual, questions may arise and we may be able to assist, but in this case: Good luck!"

Back