Logo

Leaking fuel pump on johnson 150

ralph

" I have a johnson 150 hp vro,

" I have a johnson 150 hp vro, when i prime the fuel bulb at the gas tank the vro\fuel pump starts leaking gas.Im guessing that the seals are gone if so can they be replaced and if not how much for a pump ??? thanks in advsnce. Ralph. "

There are VRO rebuild kits av

There are VRO rebuild kits available from OMC/Bombardier. Have your engine model number handy.

" I don't know if teh big

" I don't know if teh big fuel pumps are like the ones on the 9.9/15 and the new four strokes, but if they are, be very, very careful with the rebuild kits. Replace each component as you take the old one out. If you get impatient and tear it apart, all the king's horses and men won't get that fuel pump together again(grin). From personal experioence!! I don't know how much the VRO rebuild kits are, but if they are cheap, give it a shot, if not, buy the new pump, and from what I've heard about VRO, buy the stright fuel pump and mix the oil in the gas. Save you a few bucks on the pump as well. "

" I have found cases where the

" I have found cases where the housing seal in this pump will dry out and contract. When fuel pressure is added, they leak at the seam. After the seal is wetted for a while it swells back up (Kind of like a wooden boat) Knowing that these pumps are made with all synthetic materials I was surprised to see this happen, but overnight, the pump stopped leaking. This only applies to engines which have been sitting for a while and all fuel is evaporated from the system. Please don't put the hood back on and assume that this will correct itself. Fuel leaks are a very serious issue! But if your engine has been sitting a while and is leaking, before you buy a new pump. Let it sit with fuel in it for a few days, then give the primer another squeeze, you might be surprised. In every case in which I have seen this, the pump continued to operate properly, with no problems for a long time. They may still be running today. Good luck. "

Hi Rick,
I have a Johnson 4 hp 4 stroke 2007 outboard motor J4R4SUM.
I stored it away for two years doing all the usual, draining the fuel and so on.
I tried starting the engine yesterday and fuel dripped out of the fuel pump.
I stripped the pump to find the rubber gasket had shrunk and was no longer sealing.
I found this thread and soaked the gasket in fuel over night.
This morning I placed the gasket back over its housing and it now is back to normal size.
I installed the pump back into the motor and no more leaks just a happy running engine.
Thanks mate for sharing that tip.
I ordered another gasket yesterday but there was no need.

Ji

Back